The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Gotta Go To The Hempstead OTB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am 

I grew up in Hempstead from 1953 until I graduated from the high school and later on joined the Marines at the recruiting shed in Denton Green next to Grant's Department Store. It was a paradise bedroom community and the Hub of Long Island then. Today I'm going to the Nassau OTB HQ because the bar code on my account card is shot and I need to get it replaced. It will be a nostalgic trip as I walk from the bus terminal to the corner of Franklin and Fulton where the old Arnold Constable used to be. As I walk through the boarded and battered downtown where I shopped with Mom all those decades ago I will be on the lookout for Bloods, Crips, MS-13, and Salvadorians With Pride creatures. Let's just say that what I'll be carrying would get me stopped at any metal detector but daylight is an OK time to be there.

Upon a safe return I hope to get in on some afternoon action.

Post subject: Re: Gotta Go To The Hempstead OTB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:36 pm 

I've ridden by there a gazillion times, sat at the stoplight there as well, on the way back and forth to the track and to the Marriott down the road. I started to go in once, but I can't remember whether it was you or SOTB that told me, "no DG, you have no business there. Keep driving." I even pulled in the parking area behind it once, sat in the car taking off my jewelry, putting it in my handbag. Then, I just sat there for a few mintues, thinking about what I was told . . . . decided, no, I better listen to the guys. Started the car, and drove off. (Sometimes, doing what one's told is a good thing.) LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm 

Just got back. Nobody bothers you when you're walking down the street while you're talking to yourself and waving at the air with your fly open.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
Just got back. Nobody bothers you when you're walking down the street while you're talking to yourself and waving at the air with your fly open.

Its not that. There's just so many like you in the sea of humanity that crowds the sidewalks on Hempstead--folks like myself, just smile and keep on gettin' it--45 in a 25 zone. Speaking of which, the zoning on Long Island is hilarious. Imagine, the manicured lawns of Garden City are just a few blocks over. LOL

But then, its the same here, I'm in the oldest neighborhood in town. Fine area, and I'm two blocks from 'da hood. One has to adapt to change.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm 

The Hempstead OTB parlor itself is a very safe place - old black, white, and hispanic farts (a few women) trying to make a buck legally without bothering anybody. But this OTB parlor is not open for night racing. I wouldn't want to walk out of there after dark without some friends carrying guns, sticks, and bats.