The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Freud Moving Upstate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 pm 

I have it on good authority that "Freud" has been moved from Sequel Stud in Hudson to Keane Stud in Amenia, New York. Amenia is about 50 mi. up Rt. 22 from New Paulz. Its between Rt.84 and the NY Thruway. As you may or may not know, Freud is New York's top stallion w/ almost $3M in prodogy earnings in 2009. I understand he has already arrived at Keane, but there has not been any formal announcement yet. I'll be traveling up to Keane within a week to pick up 2 of my 3 broodmares that are there and take a look at him.

.............................Jack

Last edited by Jack on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Freud Moving Upstate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:55 pm 

I remember FREUD. Are we talking about the runner that was 1/2/1 from just 12 starts?

It's OK. JOHN HENRY's sire was a $1,250 claimer at Sportman's Park.

Pedigree is a tough pull. Bums sire some good ones. You see it in people, horses, and squirrels.

Best of luck, John, with your decision. Q/P loves you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:06 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I remember FREUD. Are we talking about the runner that was 1/2/1 from just 12 starts?

I guess being a full to Giants Causeway is the important part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:

It's OK. JOHN HENRY's sire was a $1,250 claimer at Sportman's Park.

Pedigree is a tough pull. Bums sire some good ones. You see it in people, horses, and squirrels.

Best of luck, John, with your decision. Q/P loves you.

Just so you don't look foolish, here's last years stats. 2009 should be even better.

NEW YORK LEADING SIRE

Sire of FIVE stakes winners in 2008 including two-year-old multiple stakes winner DAGNABIT ($242,814). 2008 progeny earnings more than $3.2 million.

Sire of 24 blacktype performers — one out of five runners is a stakes horse $56,050 average earnings per runner.

FREUD is by multiple Leading Sire STORM CAT — Out of MARIAH’S STORM, a multiple Grade 2 winner of $724,895. A Group 2 Stakes Performer in England, FREUD is a full brother to GIANT’S CAUSEWAY European Horse of the Year and sire of Group/Grade 1 millionaires SHAMARDAL, ARAGORN (IRE), My Typhoon (IRE), HEATSEEKER (IRE) and RED GIANT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm 

It figures that the one-win maiden race Slow Bred could be the leading New York sire.

Horses that don't go well have been grabbing the NY taxpayers' pockets for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 pm 

Freud seems a good choice..can't fault his pedigee...does he match-up with your mares...?

Jack wrote:
I have it on good authority that "Freud" has been moved from Sequel Stud in Hudson to Keane Stud in Amenia, New York. Amenia is about 50 mi. up Rt. 22 from New Paulz. Its between Rt.84 and the NY Thruway. As you may or may not know, Freud is New York's top stallion w/ almost $3M in prodogy earnings in 2009. I understand he has already arrived at Keane, but there has not been any formal announcement yet. I'll be traveling up to Keane within a week to pick up 2 of my 3 broodmares that are there and take a look at him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:37 am 

http://drf.com/news/article/107631.html

Sequel relocating its stallions
By Glenye Cain Oakford
Sequel Stallions New York plans to relocate its stallions from its Hudson, N.Y., farm to Keane Stud in Amenia, N.Y.

The Hudson farm, owned by Becky Thomas and Dennis Narlinger, may be leased for cattle interests the next year or so until the economy improves, Thomas said.

Sequel stands New York's leading sire Freud, top-ten sire Hook and Ladder, and top-15 sire Read the Footnotes.

The move allows Sequel to contract out the stallions' care and lower overhead while retaining full control of the horses' management and marketing. Sequel also has added Chris Bernhard of Hidden Lake Farm to handle stallion marketing and syndication.

Thomas said that Sequel and what she called its "support team" of breeders Chester Broman, Tony Grey, and Lewis Lakin have a mare base of between 35 and 40 mares, including 11 Sequel purchased last year. Sequel plans to add another 15 or so this year from fall mixed sales, where the market correction probably will mean bargain prices, Thomas said, and Sequel also is actively seeking a new stallion to add to its roster at Keane Stud.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 am 

1/4 Pole wrote:
It figures that the one-win maiden race Slow Bred could be the leading New York sire.

Horses that don't go well have been grabbing the NY taxpayers' pockets for a long time.

Too bad he was actually a Kentucky Bred that's been retired to breed in NY but then never let the truth get in the way of a good tale, right lar? Hope to see you Saturday. :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 am 

wooley85 wrote:
Freud seems a good choice..can't fault his pedigee...does he match-up with your mares...?

Jack wrote:

To tell you the truth wooley, I haven't even checked, but there would be lots of inbreeding if I bred him to my STORM BIRD mare FLY MY BIRD (MR PROSPECTOR and NORTHERN DANCER)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:42 am 

bigbird914 wrote:
http://drf.com/news/article/107631.html

Sequel relocating its stallions
By Glenye Cain Oakford
Sequel Stallions New York plans to relocate its stallions from its Hudson, N.Y., farm to Keane Stud in Amenia, N.Y.

The Hudson farm, owned by Becky Thomas and Dennis Narlinger, may be leased for cattle interests the next year or so until the economy improves, Thomas said.

Sequel stands New York's leading sire Freud, top-ten sire Hook and Ladder, and top-15 sire Read the Footnotes.

The move allows Sequel to contract out the stallions' care and lower overhead while retaining full control of the horses' management and marketing. Sequel also has added Chris Bernhard of Hidden Lake Farm to handle stallion marketing and syndication.

Thomas said that Sequel and what she called its "support team" of breeders Chester Broman, Tony Grey, and Lewis Lakin have a mare base of between 35 and 40 mares, including 11 Sequel purchased last year. Sequel plans to add another 15 or so this year from fall mixed sales, where the market correction probably will mean bargain prices, Thomas said, and Sequel also is actively seeking a new stallion to add to its roster at Keane Stud.

Thanks Bigbird, Someone must have leaked it to the press :shock: