The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Meadowlands Memories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:43 pm 

It’s fall again in New Jersey, and that can mean one thing. The Meadowlands Thoroughbred meet is back. Starting on Thursday, October 2, the Meadowlands will kick off its 2009 fall meet. As a native New Jerseyan I have always considered both Monmouth Park and The Meadowlands my home track, but considering I only live a few miles away from the Meadowlands, it is truly my home track. It is where I have honed my handicapping skills over the years, made life-long friends, and learned some of the intricacies of the game by people in the game, trainers, horsepeople and bettors. In this post I will give a quick glimpse of the meet, and something I have wanted to do for a while, list my top 10 Meadowlands moments. (Moments I have witnessed at the Meadowlands either live, or via simulcast) The one thing I can tell you about the Meadowlands is this, speed does well, and since I can remember, it always has been a speed-favoring strip. A new dirt surface was put down a few years ago, but if anything, it actually enhanced the speed bias. Speaking to a couple trainers, they believe that during the afternoons, the track plays a bit fairer, but at night it seems to be more speed favoring. You have to pay attention to the bias as the day or nights goes on and try to detect it, if there is in fact a bias. (Brad Thomas will discuss this during the live simulcast stream during his mid-race report card.) Sloppy tracks, this speed bias holds up well and the inside seems to be the place to be.

Jason Servis has been the man over the past few years. He will be aiming for his 4th training title at the Meadowlands this meet. He should once again have another successful meet.

The Meadowlands meet is a reasonably short meet. It will run through December 5, 2009. It may not be Saratoga or Keeneland, but it is a meet a lot of trainers do point for. It is certainly one of my favorite meets, for various reasons.

The Proximity of the Meadowlands to New York, and other states such as Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland offer the opportunity for many trainers to make the trip over if they see a spot that suits their horse. Over the past few years shippers have done well. New York trainers in particular often take advantage of the proximity of the Meadowlands. The beauty of all the shippers promise a lot of full fields. New York jocks will often ride at the Meadowlands as well in the evenings, after the day is complete in New York. **For more on the Meadowlands Thoroughbred meet, click the link below**

88 HORSES ENTERED FOR THURSDAY OPENER AT THE BIG M

My top Meadowlands Memories

Real Quiet wins the 1998 Kentucky Derby | I placed a $10 win bet on Real Quiet. It was my first ever bet on the Kentucky Derby and it was a winner! That’s the one race that I can say started it all. I really became a true racing fan after that. I was already familiar with racing and remember watching the Derby on ABC several times. I remember Easy Goer winning the Belmont Stakes, but this was the first time I actually went there to bet a horse in the Derby. While listening to a sports radio talk show the night before, a caller had stated that Bob Baffert’s Silver Charm ran 2nd in the Santa Anita Derby last year, before going on to win the Kentucky Derby. He said Real Quiet had ran 2nd as well this year, and thought he might be better then Indian Charlie. I said, well that sounds good enough for me. (Simulcast)

Say Florida Sandy wins the Paterson Stakes on September 7,2001 | One of favorite horses of all-time wins the Paterson Stakes at the Meadowlands. I was there and could not wait to see my favorite horse run, and win. My camera broke and I was disappointed, but I had a plan. I went to the track photographer and purchased the winning photo. (Hangs on my wall) I paid for it with money from the win bet. The joy was shattered only 4 days later with the horrible events of 9/11. (Live)

Smarty Jones wins the 2004 Kentucky Derby | I was on this guy from the very beginning. This horse had speed to burn. I knew he was the best 3-year-old by a mile very early on. When an opportunity came to get an early bet on him in pool 3 of Kentucky Derby wagering, I jumped at the opportunity. I placed a $100 win bet on him. Derby day came, and I was at my usual spot watching on a big screen TV. He took the lead at the top of the stretch and surged home, in one of the most thrilling wins at the track I have ever had. It was awesome to see a horse I followed from very early go on to win the Kentucky Derby. That stretch run was still the longest stretch run I have seen, I just kept saying to myself “where is the wire?” Yes! finally. He did it! The was cause for a celebration that evening. (Simulcast)
Smarty Jones glides home with ease in the 2003 Penn Nursery in 1:22 flat! | In one of the best performances I have ever seen by a 2-year-old. I knew as soon as I saw it, we were looking at future champion. It was simply a brilliant effort. I have since yet to see a 2-year-old that has impressed me as much as he did that day. (Simulcast)

Hi It’s Me scores in his debut in 2005| A 2-year-old New Jersey bred making his first career start for Jason Servis in Race 1 of the evening. A son of Songandaprayer. There were no tips with this horse, in fact he was not even the favorite, but seeing this horse in the paddock, I saw all I needed to know. He was as calm as the flag on the moon and looked super. I really loved the way he was physically. I was confident he would run well first out, and he did. He won at 6/1 and filled in the first half of a nice daily double. Charmsil a filly won the next leg on the turf. He is the horse in the picture on the home page , the one in the lead with the big white blaze (Live)

Go Go Shoot scores in his debut in 2007 | At the time he was trained by Jimmy Ryerson—another first time starter who looked every bit the part in the paddock. The great looking gray/roan son of Songandaprayer stood out in the paddock like few horses I have seen in the past. He looked absolutely stunning—relaxed, calm, and alert. He was looking around. I like that. He was breaking from post 1, which is not always the best spot for a 1st time starter, but it did not deter me. A good one can win from anywhere. I backed him, and he delivered in a gate to wire effort, not only did he win; he did it impressively indicating this one had a very bright future. He is showing that now. (Live)

Cat Thief and Budroyale complete huge 1999 BC Classic exacta | I had a bunch of tickets for the Classic. With one minute to post and the horses hovering around the starting gate, I wanted to get one more bet in. I scooted to a betting machine and punched up an exacta ticket. Cat Thief was a horse I had backed all year to no avail. My buddy loved to play California tracks and a horse we both had success with was good ole Budroyale. I decided to use the both of them for a dollar in an exacta box. What the heck I said. Bang Zoom! They ran 1-2 and completed a exacta of $1.209! I had half of it. I was with some people, and one said if you have that triple, you’ll need a wheelbarrow to get it out. Never forget that funny comment or hitting that exacta. (Simulcast)

Tap Day wins the 2005 Meadowlands Cup | Tap Day was an honest horse who had been running against some quality horses throughout the summer. He kept getting bad trips and luck just what not on his side. Finally he met a field I knew he could handle. He found trouble yet again, blocked behind horses on the far turn, but got through and won. I backed him quiet well and was rewarded with a nice win. (Live)

Live Doppler wins at 50 something to 1! | A masterpiece of handicapping resulted in a great score. It was a few years ago. Live Doppler was a filly running in lower level claiming races at Philadelphia Park, who had just raced few days or so prior at Philadelphia Park on dirt. She popped up at The Meadowlands only few days later and was trying the turf for the first time and moved up in class few notches. I noticed the move up in class and the very short rest, and seeing she was trying the turf for the 1st time, it peaked my interest a great deal. I liked her actually, so I made a $5 dollar win play on her. I told my buddies I liked her. I would give her a shot. The ones who listened were rewarded with a $100 plus winner. That was a great night. (Live)

Gander wins the 2001 Meadowlands Cup | Gander was a front runner, and knowing how the Meadowlands plays, thought he had every opportunity to win. Gander had been against some classy horses throughout his career, this seemed like the night to nail him down. He delivered going gate to wire and made my evening. It seemed everyone that was around me that night had him as well. (Live)

It was hard to put these in a top 10 type list, so I just listed them with no numbers.

Post subject: Re: Meadowlands Memories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:13 pm 

The Big M, in my opinion, is one of the coolest spots in racing. I have had an awesome time everytime I go there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:21 am 

nice memories, but why'd you change your name from Torontowhyme?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:24 am 

chuckles wrote:
nice memories, but why'd you change your name from Torontowhyme?

That's not Torontowhyme, his spelling's too good, LOL... That's Stevie Belmont.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:52 pm 

Reading about "The Meadowlands" brings back memories for me too. I have a plaque mounted on the wall just above our computer. There's five pictures on it taken on the night of October 16, 1999, almost ten years ago. It was a cold Saturday night and we had a horse entered in a New Jersey Bred stakes race, "THE WISTFUL HANDICAP" with Roberto Alvarado riding. We shipped up from Philadelphia Park with Ronny Glorioso, our trainer. The race went off just as we finished dinner in the upper grandstand. We had to hurry to get down to the Winners Circle for the pictures. It was 1 mile @ 1:36 4/5 and the purse was $45,000. WHO DID IT AND RUN was 2nd, ELEVEN NORTH was 3rd and our mare "MOONLIGHTING" was 1st.

We lost MOONLIGHTING several years later after giving birth to a filly LIGHT CLASSIC whom we still have here in Brooklyn, Connecticut.

Rest in Peace MOONLIGHTING

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 pm 

There won't be any memories this year...All day cards

Why would they move up here and not stay at Monmouth if they can't even run night cards until 10/15?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm 

The track in which Charmsil turned her fortunes around..feels like a lifetime ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:42 am 

Nailed that double nicely with Hi it's Me to kick it off in race 1. That was a super night. I done good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 am 

My fondest memory from the Meadowlands is blasting a trotter named FLO OVER in the first race for a guaranteed wonderful evening. And the Anchor Steam beer that 1/8 Pole and I enjoyed.

And maybe having a great day at the Hambletonian one time. Perfect weather, a bunch of winners, and daytime to boot. All in a country fair atmosphere. I even got on the radio to be interviewed by Jody McDonald.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 pm 

Jdy Mac at the Track!