The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: summer bird wins horse of year
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:47 am 

I know their will be a lot of rachel supporters but sweeping the belmont ,travers and gold cup
is probably harder than winning the triple crown and all these races were at classic distances while
rachel beat tired horses in the preakness on a speed favoring track,won the haskell on a speed favoring
track and than barely won against the same horses that summer bird just spanked.The 3 races she won were all at her optimum distance of
9 furlongs too.If they were to meet at 10 furlongs I beleive the bird would win and rachel may not even be 2nd best as quality road
would also be a tough opponent.

Post subject: Re: summer bird wins horse of year
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:57 am 

Winning in the slop isn't as fair as you think. Even the Haskel was a slop fest. The horse is good, but slop HOY is streaching it. Best male yes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm 

Not a chance for HOY. Was beat by RA, I think twice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:57 pm 

4stardave wrote:
I know their will be a lot of rachel supporters but sweeping the belmont ,travers and gold cup
is probably harder than winning the triple crown and all these races were at classic distances while
rachel beat tired horses in the preakness on a speed favoring track,won the haskell on a speed favoring
track and than barely won against the same horses that summer bird just spanked.The 3 races she won were all at her optimum distance of
9 furlongs too.If they were to meet at 10 furlongs I beleive the bird would win and rachel may not even be 2nd best as quality road
would also be a tough opponent.

No chance, even if he wins the BC Classic, he will be known as the horse who got his rear end handed to him by the filly. And if they stretched the Haskell out that day to 1 1/4, he would have lost by at least six lengths. They ganged up on the filly up at Saratoga and still couldn't take her down. He had his chance and was dusted. He still is an incredible horse, but second best to the filly.

Summer Bird is a the champion 3 year old male. RA is horse of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:57 pm 

If he wins the Classic, Summer Bird will have won the Belmont, Travers, Jockey Club Gold Cup and BC Classic. They each would have a Triple Crown win on their resume and each beaten elders in a G1. Maybe I give Summer Bird the edge though since he went to the BC and beat the world's best if he wins the Classic. But the sentimental vote will prevail and RA will most likely get it and she does deserve it for all her accomplishments this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:17 am 

RA is HOY unless the Euro Strar comes here and dismantles the field in the Classic a field that includes Summer Bird..Even in that scenario it would be hard to go against the filly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am 

lukeydog wrote:
RA is HOY unless the Euro Strar comes here and dismantles the field in the Classic a field that includes Summer Bird..Even in that scenario it would be hard to go against the filly.

Hate when a Euro runs here once and gets HOY. HOY here should be for horses that campaign here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:48 pm 

suffolk otb wrote:
Is the award North American Horse of the Year or American Horse of the Year or just Horse of the Year?

If just Horse of the Year, I have no problem giving to a Euro that dominated his continent, then came over here and beat the best we had to offer.

Can agree to disagree. lol