The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: Secretariat --- The Movie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 pm 

Now that the farm property is an Equine Event Center for the Virginia State Fair only a few original barns, Secretariat's foaling barn, simply a small white, insignificant looking structure, tiny in size, nothing like one would see at large farm's today, along with Secretariat's historical marker at the road, there, along the farm property are what remain.

About 8 years ago, I was there, and everything was still in the their same places including his foaling barn and the Chenery's home. And a large training track.

It was touching, and great to be there. One felt, truly, like moving about hallowed ground. I really did. Just a friend and myself, we walked all over the farm. I'm glad I saw all of it before everything was changed.

There was also on the property, a tremendous brick home that I believe was built and owned by Colonial Downs owner.

If you're traveling south on I-95, you pass right by all of this, as its directly across the street from the entrance to King's Dominion Theme Park.

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=1890

The new structures, mixed with the old.

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.a ... 09FDB1484A

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm 

One other note, at 87 years of age, Penny Chenery has worked hard for so many years to keep Secretariat's memory and greatness alive. I've heard that she is much more frail today, but I hope she remains as healthy as possible for a while longer, so that she will see her racehorse's amazing story told on the big screen, along with her own story as well. And I hope people will flock to the film in absolute droves, those that were there-- those who remember his greatness and have spoken of it for decades, telling their children and grandchildren. And too, those that have listened to and read the stories about the . . . . as was written, "The Horse That God Built."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 am 

I didnt think penny was that old,I remember her as being very young to be the owner of
big red,maybe 40 in 1973,but than again i was only 10 years old at the time.i havent gone to
the theatre since seabiscuit so i guess its time go again.