The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Stuyvesant Handicap Goes Belly Up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:49 pm 

From Jerry Bossert's column in this morning's New York Daily News:

STUYVESANT CANCELED: Fans hoping to come to Aqueduct tomorrow to see a graded stakes race will not have that opportunity after the New York Racing Association pulled the plug on the Stuyvesant Handicap. Only five horses had entered the race and NYRA stakes coordinator Andrew Byrnes said up to three had threatened to scratch if the track came up wet, which is a virtual certainty according to the forecast. The race will not be rescheduled. The Stuyvesant was first run in 1916 and has been run every year since 1963.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... z0WksBmeK6

Post subject: Re: Stuyvesant Handicap Goes Belly Up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:56 pm 

suffolk otb wrote:
This sports dies a small death every day.

Greg wrote in his blog about this cancelled race and the one at Woodbine on Saturday.

http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm 

It's just one year and NYRA management did the right thing to cancel the race. The jury is still out on synthetics and I still say in the long run, Synthetics will not replace dirt tracks and some tracks may even switch back to dirt eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:59 pm 

Synthetic is horrible. Saw a horse die on it the other day. Aint seen a horse die in NY in a few.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:28 am 

Another one died today at Hollywood on the lead clear by 2 at the 1/16th pole. That was a tough one to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:35 pm 

Location: The middle of SOMEWHERE or Wisconsin as it's known to the rest of the world
Vic has had to call a couple of tough races this week. :evil: California is committed come hell or high water to running on garbage but I'd think twice about promoting it as a safer surface. As far as Greg's take on polytrack - :roll: speed has always been and still is king at Hollywood no matter what the surface :!:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 am 

arrow wrote:
Vic has had to call a couple of tough races this week. :evil: California is committed come hell or high water to running on garbage but I'd think twice about promoting it as a safer surface. As far as Greg's take on polytrack - :roll: speed has always been and still is king at Hollywood no matter what the surface :!:

Not so fast about California's commitment to the polycrap, according to Bossert's article in the NY Daily News from Breeders Cup weekend.. maybe there is hope.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... nita_.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:56 am 

If the CHRB has mandated that the tracks are free to go back to regular dirt, I'm surprised it didn't get any press in the major racing publications. I would think the SoCal tracks would go back to regular dirt if they've gotten the green light to do so when time permits. I understand the Santa Anita and Hollywood ownership situation, but what about Del Mar? Of all the surfaces, I think that one is the most heavily criticized and quirky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:31 am 

There is no hope of a change back to dirt. In fact the breeding industry has begun to acclimate to the all world poly...The American speed breed is going the way of the dinosaurs..Breeding will be more euro style from here on out. Poly is not going anywhere.