The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Game has changed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm 

NYRA has become what it always competed well against.a smalltown track..It is official. It is also why they catered to the NY Breds..Now we get fuller fields and less quality because the quantity has completely disappeared. I believe you will begin to see many of the 'good trainers' moving on as well.

The claiming game is now DEAD. It has been replaced with sheisters and scam artists putting together partners to claim 10k cripples..There is rarely if ever a 35k race..They write them and never use them. Trainers and owners know this and they have gone elsewhere. Who wants to stay in NY come Dec..to run for bills cover?

Campo needs to go...

Post subject: Re: Game has changed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 pm 

My action on the Belmont Fall Meet was cut way back - you get better racing at Tampa Bay over the winter. Those graded stakes with 5 runners were a horror to watch and an embarrassment. Five maiden races a day are not the way to go. Handle and attendance plunged. And now the mangled horses coming off the Aqueduct turf course is causing concern among the horsemen.

Hey, the slots are coming to fix everything. Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm 

Campo was at one time innovative..Today he is simply clueless. When he has the stock at the Spa he resisted the bread and butter slice of the population. the hard knockin 25 to 35 game. He catered to the NYB grass sprints and low level claiming game..Even though the condition book has plenty to the 25 and 35's they are not able to fill and he does not use them..the issue is the trainers/owners are not interested in the 10's..they claim a 25 and sit in jail because the 35 never goes..rather than sit in NY they are taking their stock to jersey and down south..Not that it is that much better but they can get a race and a RS who understands their plight..Campo does not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 pm 

You have it backwards.

I heard Campo interviewed. He said," he writes the races that the TRAINERS request. He specifically mentioned turf sprints as popular requests by trainers. What would you expect in NY in the winter? The "big" NY trainers go to Gulfstream in the winter like they have for the past 50 years. Campo writes races for the population he has in NY.

You must have missed the crappy, cheap cards at Churchill this fall. With the exception of weekends, CD was dreck..cheap.

Gulfstream the past several years was the same...cheap races...few allowence races.
The NY trainers couldn't even get races for their up and coming allowence horses.
Exactly, WHAT tracks do YOU think are so great? Q/P loves the 4 horse fields in CA it seems...but complains about the same in NY.

I think you all are just a bunch of whiners.

lukeydog wrote:
Campo was at one time innovative..Today he is simply clueless. When he has the stock at the Spa he resisted the bread and butter slice of the population. the hard knockin 25 to 35 game. He catered to the NYB grass sprints and low level claiming game..Even though the condition book has plenty to the 25 and 35's they are not able to fill and he does not use them..the issue is the trainers/owners are not interested in the 10's..they claim a 25 and sit in jail because the 35 never goes..rather than sit in NY they are taking their stock to jersey and down south..Not that it is that much better but they can get a race and a RS who understands their plight..Campo does not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 pm 

as usual Wooley corrects me...you see wooley reads the bite lines and thinks she knows what is real...I assure you I have it right..Of course we can read your criticisms and tell me what I know to be accurate is wrong or you could just go about whatever it is you do....How many days were you on the backstrecth this week Woolsey?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm 

suffolk otb wrote:
This game dies another death everyday.

If Mountaineer gets their way next week in special session, there won't be winter racing in 2010. Ultimately, if WV state law gets further amended, there won't be racing at all in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 pm 

wooley85 wrote:
Q/P loves the 4 horse fields in CA it seems...but complains about the same in NY.

I think you all are just a bunch of whiners.

[/quote]

QP hates California racing. His favorite out of town tracks are Philly and Tampa.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:02 pm 

Going to Florida provides smaller purses, but the racing is better, Shove the Big A up your ass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:12 pm 

oldguy wrote:
Going to Florida provides smaller purses, but the racing is better, Shove the Big A up your ass

Only problem with the Big A is Nyra let it go for so long and the weather sucks most of the time there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 am 

I agree with John that the weather is a huge factor at the big A. I was raised on NY racing, and will grow old with it too. The Spa, and Belmont are unbeatable. They are far far far from perfect, but maybe if some of you NYRA knockers played at home, and stayed at home the product would improve. I watch TVG on Mondays, and Tuesdays, I like Rich Perloff, but the racing sucks, everything is either 2/5, or an imposible 18/1. Yes the game has changed, and seems to be going downhill, I for one hope that somewhere soon someone comes up with the answer because I would hate to lose it.