The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Jerry Bossert Weighs In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am 

In this morning's New York Daily News, Bossert's column starts off with this: "By the time you read this, horse racing in New York could be finished."

A lot of the racing action in New York this week isn't going on at Aqueduct.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... z0c1bc49f5

Post subject: Re: Jerry Bossert Weighs In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 am 

In the 70's...the majority of the decade at least I was a kid..too young to bet and going to the track was a hassle.Believe it or not unless you had a teller in the know betting on track for a minor was difficult.

For a young degenerate such as myself there had to be a way...Boom OTB. Yes the parlor on 117 and Jamaica Ave became a regular stop on the press route..a quick recon to make sure nobody I knew was in the joint and I was in..Betting letters and having to await the delay before the unceremonius posting of results from the track a mile away was not romantic and the often INQUIRY flash that would wreck one's nerves did not make it fun but action was action...Over the years the place did not change much..Tellers got older and patrons especially the older ones would someday just not be there anymore..Word would pass around that so an so had been "found" in his bed on the john or laid up in the hospital. The degenerate hot dog vendor who parked outside and sold what I expect was low grade dog meat met the same fate..Days would sometimes be lost in this den of inequity especially when the Tavern next door became a preferred stop for the now legal degenrate typing this post..

About 4 years ago I stopped back in the old joint with Dad to make a bet..It had been 17 or 18 years since I had been in there..The first thing I realized was the tenant next door's fish must be rotting in the common hallway. The smell was ungodly. The walls still had the number of someone's cheating ex wife who was good for a spin according to the ex. The tickets that the OTB turkeyheads deemed necessary to be completed prior to making a bet were strewn about the floor although as many might recall were consistent with the numbers and not the old alpha tix OTB ordered by the millions 3 months prior to the switch to a number system...The young had become old and the old had become ancient.

I looked at my dad who like many did not seem to mind the smell and gently nudged him towards the door..I took him back to the car and we wheeled over to the track and made our losing bets...I have never stepped foot in a city OTB again..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:40 am 

It alll comes down to greed, and thieves. Try following this money trail would lead you to OTB big wigs raking the lawn clean of benji's. They still owe at least 15 million to the NYRA show, where they skimmed them dry. I think OTB big wigs must be on Meth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:54 am 

After rent, labor, and utilities the NYCOTB is mandated to pay out more than it has left. And some people want Big Government to run their health care. When Mayor "Grand Mosaic of Diversity" Dinkins hired Hazel Dukes of NAACP fame to run the city OTB the first thing she did was do a $500,000 makeover to her office (the pink sofa made headlines) and hire numerous "cousins" as big money "consultants" (some had actually managed to earn GEDs).

The past performance of NYCOTB is a horror story. The state only took it over in 2008 when Emperor Bloombucks ordered it shut down completely. It was bleeding the city dry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 pm 

The NYDailyNews shouldn't be talking about NYRA...the paper doesn't even post the next day's NYRA entries in the paper. Bunch of phonies looking for headlines. Bossert looks like the only thing he does is EAT :mrgreen: at the NYRA 's buffet tables.

Read Matt Haggerity in the DRF...has followed the NYRA saga for years...Oh, wait...the FACTS confuse YOU.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm 

wooley85 wrote:
The NYDailyNews shouldn't be talking about NYRA...the paper doesn't even post the next day's NYRA entries in the paper. Bunch of phonies looking for headlines. Bossert looks like the only thing he does is EAT :mrgreen: at the NYRA 's buffet tables.

Read Matt Haggerity in the DRF...has followed the NYRA saga for years...Oh, wait...the FACTS confuse YOU.

Next day's entries are always in the Daily News. I like the racing pages in the News. I buy a hard copy every day. I can't get the Mirror or Journal-American anymore though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 pm 

wooley85 wrote:

The only confusing thing here is your use of the word FACTS..Your like the little teapot hissing in the dark Say what you feel don't mind facts..The Daily News ALWAYS prints tomorrow's entries and Bossert has covered racing for the News for years..What is it about the word facts that is so confusing to you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
wooley85 wrote:

Next day's entries are always in the Daily News. I like the racing pages in the News. I buy a hard copy every day. I can't get the Mirror or Journal-American anymore though.

Were not in yesterdays pop. I looked for them!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am 

lukeydog wrote:
wooley85 wrote:

The only confusing thing here is your use of the word FACTS..Your like the little teapot hissing in the dark Say what you feel don't mind facts..The Daily News ALWAYS prints tomorrow's entries and Bossert has covered racing for the News for years..What is it about the word facts that is so confusing to you...

Oh, wait....I forgot I'm in the :mrgreen: vegetable garden...of course...silly of me to post FACTS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:19 pm 

I know that the next day's entries are in the News because I'm usually looking at them in the morning while screaming in the bathroom.