The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: New York Racing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm 

I have loved the ponies in New York ever since the old man got me into Jamaica Park to railrat as a 10-year-old boy in 1958. I understand the problems that racing faces today. At the age of 61 (62 in a couple of weeks) sometimes I'm one of the youngest guys going to a window at Potters Pub.

In this morning's New York Daily News Jerry Bossert wrote something that I do NOT agree with. Bossert hasn't been around long enough to bitch like this but he does strike a chord.

"Aqueduct plays host to the $65,000 Correction Stakes this afternoon, along with the $250,000 guaranteed late Pick Four, "featuring" what could be the worst racing ever assembled for a Saturday in the history of New York."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... z0e8KY3f5C

Post subject: Re: New York Racing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:14 pm 

I agree with Bossert 100%. I showed my father the entries when he came up to help me replace a heating element in my hot tub. My pop asked me when they drew the entries. After I told him, he said they probably had the weather in mind when they carded this awful group of races with the thought that it would be canceled. It made sense and as it turned out he was correct.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm 

My Pop is dead since 1974. If he got a look at today's Aqueduct card from the grave he would probably tell me to do my deuces someplace else.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 pm 

My parents buy season passes for the Saratoga meeting as they spend a good deal of the meet up there. Pop is not into racing at the Big A these days but that does not stop him from talking about racing from there 40 years ago.

For the record, I was busy watching my daughter until 11:30am then I took my son to basketball practice. Then I ran errands until 1:45 and hung out with the other fathers as Bball practice wrapped up. After my son refreshed after practice I drove him to his friends house. I chatted with the parents for about 20 minutes and then drove back home thinking I was going to hit another Magna 5 wager. Then I find out Laurel cancelled and the wager was off. Damn!!

I would of had the last 4 legs of the Magna 5. I was too busy recalculating my wagering strategy to post here. I ended up making money at Gulfstream and Santa Anita but it was not easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:12 pm 

It's never easy, especially this time of year.