The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: ....................
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 pm 

Last edited by TheFlagIsUp on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Marty Memorial Race
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 am 

Send the Money Direct To Marty's Widow . I'm not in for a Dime that goes to NYRA on Belmont Opening Day . May Not Be an Opening Day . $500 To Nyra gets a Silver Ring , An Announcement and Maybe $25 To Mrs Marty ?? WOW

Have Your Wife do a Picture of Marty at the Rail With Friends as Horses Go By , Have it Signed By Friends and Sent with a Check . Something that She Remembers Forever .

Anybody Ever see Marty's Wife at the Track ? Didn't Think so

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:47 am 

i think its a good thing to do and where the money goes is not important. I think it would be a great thing to do.

Yorker, You never showed up to a board meeting or ever met Marty. I am sure his wife is taken care of and is more for us to remember the good man. Politicaly I never agreed with him but as a man you could never meet a better person. I like the idea and if I can come up with some funds I would love to add to it. Hope I can make it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:32 pm 

I never met the man, and knew nothing of him or his politics. But there are plenty of people I respect who were very fond of him, and thats enough for me to be involved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:28 pm 

I never Met Marty Yet Also Loved him .

I 'm just Being Frank

Marty's Race Track Time isn't what The wife Wants To Go to ? as aked Before Did You Ever see her at the track

John it Would Be Like Having your Mom Come to The TRACK . good Guess She May not show at all . My wife Wouldn't though She Might Like a Momento from Friends

Think About The Person

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:50 pm 

Location: The middle of SOMEWHERE or Wisconsin as it's known to the rest of the world
Marty's wife was consulted Yorker.
"Opening Day at Belmont has become a tradition for many of us. With the recent passing of Kel (Marty), I think that it would be a fitting tribute to honor his memory on Opening Day with a race named in his honor. I spoke to Maureen Fanning at NYRA, and the cost will be $300. The name of the race would be published in the Post Parade program, and there would be a winner's circle presentation of a crystal frame. The idea has been pitched to Kel's wife Denise and her children, and are in agreement that it would be a good way to remember a fine horseplayer."

Pee on someone else's parade :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:11 pm 

Yorker wrote:

I 'm just Being Frank

Marty's Race Track Time isn't what The wife Wants To Go to ? as aked Before Did You Ever see her at the track

John it Would Be Like Having your Mom Come to The TRACK . good Guess She May not show at all . My wife Wouldn't though She Might Like a Momento from Friends

Think About The Person

You really are a f'ing jerk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:31 pm 

TheFlagIsUp wrote:
Yorker wrote:

I 'm just Being Frank

Think About The Person

You really are a f'ing jerk

ya ya ya , And your Such a nice Fella , Never swears or nothing .

Go Give his Wife a day at the Races if it makes you feel good. Marty would have told you to Not waste your Money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:33 pm 

arrow wrote:
Marty's wife was consulted Yorker.
"Opening Day at Belmont has become a tradition for many of us. With the recent passing of Kel (Marty), I think that it would be a fitting tribute to honor his memory on Opening Day with a race named in his honor. I spoke to Maureen Fanning at NYRA, and the cost will be $300. The name of the race would be published in the Post Parade program, and there would be a winner's circle presentation of a crystal frame. The idea has been pitched to Kel's wife Denise and her children, and are in agreement that it would be a good way to remember a fine horseplayer."

Pee on someone else's parade :roll:

I probably will Lay odds that While its a nice Gesture , Denise Won't Show Up .
Also You went to the Family Before You had the Money ? What do you say later if the Cash Isn't enough ?
Different than NY City or NYRA operates , it might be a good idea to have the funds Before you Announce the Event .

Marty Was a great Guy , Loved His Humor and his Frankness . This Ain't About Marty

My Dad Loved to Play Hockey . Would Rink Rat well into his Fifties . MY Mom hated the Fact that My dad Spent So much Time at the Rink as My Wife don't Like the Time I spend at the Track . I will Be Sure that My Friends know to Not Invite My Wife to the Track for a Race , instead Ask Her what they could do to Honor their old friend .

So Go Have your Parade . NOT TOO WORRY what I think . Never Stopped you in the Past .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 pm 

Yorker,

Your choice not to donate is a personal one, and that's OK. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to do so, nor will anyone think any greater or lesser of you. It's 100% voluntary. If you feel that $300 to NYRA is against your morals, then so be it.

However, your position of twisting the facts leaves something to be desired. The idea to honor Kel's memory with a race on Opening Day was pitched shortly after his passing. For many of us, the opening day board meeting at Belmont Park is not just about the racing, but the chance to re-acquaint with friends, share the good memories, and create new ones. Over the years, Kel became a fixture at several downstate board gatherings, and his presence was appreciated by many. When he was unable to attend the races last year, a void was felt. Now, he's gone from our Earth, and all we have left of him are the memories. There's no need for me to read off the list of memories that people had of Kel, as that has already been done. The man was obviously loved my many, and had an impact on many people's lives. To name a race in his honor allows us to fill that void - if only briefly - and remember what was good about Marty, and the many moments that we shared with him. Who really cares if $300 is going to the NYRA? Honestly, it was probably the least of anyone's worries when we started soliciting donations after Christmas. This was a chance for a group of horseplayer friends to honor a true New York horseplayer, at New York's grandest racetrack, and we will accomplish that; perhaps as an annual tradition to keep Kel's spirit alive, but that's a bridge to be crossed on another day.

$520 has already been raised, so with $300 going to NYRA, $220 and counting will be going to Denise and family to use as they see fit. Several that have not donated have made a commitment, and we're anticipating that in the end, the money being donated to the Weiss family will exceed that of the cost of the race. You also begged the question as to what would have happened if we had come short of the $300 goal? For your information, there were multiple members on the other board that offered - without asking - to foot the balance of the race if necessary. If I had to do it myself, I would have, even on my rinky-dink Home Depot wages. We had some significant donations, as well as multiple donations from several posters. Was it necessary? No. They didn't have to do it. But they did, because they LOVED and RESPECTED Marty, and wanted to see to it that his memory was honored in a compassionate way. Many donors that contributed never met Marty in person, yet thought highly of him based on his board participation, whether they agreed with him, or disagreed.

Rocketrobert, who was in close contact with Denise Weiss in the months leading up to, and after Kel's death, pitched the idea to her and family after it was conceived, and they endorsed the gesture, recognizing how much the boards and the people on these boards meant to Kel. Even though they are not horse racing fans, they embraced the entire concept of a tribute, and will be in attendance with members of both boards on Opening Day.

So, Yorker, YES, it's 110% about Marty.

I rest my case.