The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Calvin's broken clock
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 pm 

just watched the Belmont on NYRA videos and was able to note the times of each quarter. Calvin's clock was off and the decision to not seek a mount in one of the earlier races to possibly familiarize himself with the track I think cost him.

1st quarter: 23.41 Position -last about 10 lengths of the pace
2nd quarter: 23.62 Position - Still last possibly 12 - 15 lengths from the front
3rd quarter: 25.30,(1:12.43 for 6 furlongs) Position - makes up at least 7 lengths at this point and is within 6-7 lenghts of the lead. He may have been correct in saying they'd backed up to him but after 2 sub 24 opening quarters in a mile and a half race no need to make up so much ground with still half the race left.
4th quarter: 25.43,(1:37.86) Position - He's absolutely compromised whatever chances he has here as he's taken MTB to the outside and continued moving up while 4-5 wide entering the far turn. Another 25 quarter but clearly he's thinking he has to make his move because he's lost all chance to save any ground.
5th quarter: 24.80,(2:01.66) Position - He thrown his hand in as he's taken the balcony move to put a head and perhaps half a length in front of Dunkirk & Charitable Man. Interestingly the winner, who was covered up till now has now shaken loose and started after him. Makes up the remaining 5 lengths between the 5/16th's and 1/4 pole.
6th quarter: 25.88,(2:27.54) A horse that's electrified us in the Derby with a turn of foot and one steady run has already been "used" to stay closer to a pace and race wide making another move to the top of the stretch. The winner lays covered up and is asked for run leaving the 5/16th's pole until he surges ahead at the 1/16th pole. Even Dunkirk outfinishes MTB even though he raced up on the pace because he wasn't used to get there and was able to cruise throughout much of the race until being set down by JV.

Tactically, a poor ride by Borel. Trainer Chip Wooley could have blasted Calvin but he resisted when asked but I think his assesment was right. With the fractions they were setting he had a legit pace to run at. Calvin's decision to tip out early made MTB more aggresive and the horse wound up pulling him into the race quicker than he should have been there. I've always thought that Stewart Elliot was unfairly criticized for his ride of Smarty Jones in the Belmont but today I put the fault squarely at Calvin's feet for his decisions made in this Belmont.

Post subject: Re: Calvin's broken clock
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:26 pm 

didnt anyone tell JRV to go out in 50 and come in at 47 instead of the other way around...dumb ass cost his horse the Belmont.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 pm 

I agree go to the lead...but not in 23/47 maybe 25/50 he still would have had the lead cause no other dumb ass would have gone early faster oh well

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 am 

just just BLEW IT plain and simple and i thought the 2 was coming down- he should have... IMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:26 am 

From Vic Zigel's column in this morning's NY Daily News:

"Borel rode the rail to win the Derby, but didn't take that route yesterday. 'I knew the fence wasn't good,' the jockey said. 'It's kind of deep down there.'

How did he know? He came to New York early in the week and didn't bother picking up a ride at Belmont. There were 10 races before the Belmont and Borel wasn't working in any of them."

Calvin isn't coming out of this one looking very bright. His quote about a "slow" pace was clueless.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... tml?page=0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:43 am 

The same rail that some have suggested was part of an inside speed bias. Calvin's gonna take his lumps the more people look at this race.