The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Today's dq in the 4th
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:00 pm 

I have no dog in this fight and after watching the replays numerous times I'm still inclined to leave the 1st horse under the wire up. I can't argue that the horse drifted out many paths through the stretch but at no time did Sugar Trade appear to be able to go by her. Her jock, David Cohen realized that the leader was bearing out and stayed on the left hand whip presumably to give his horse a clear path and with all his exhorting she came up to but never passed the leader. Another thing I'll argue is that at no time did Cohen ever break his action on his horse. He was full out through the stretch and neither steadied nor checked. When the stewards make their decision, they make a presumption of the horse, had the race been run in a straight path would have passed the leader. I just think they made the wrong call.

Post subject: Re: Today's dq in the 4th
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 am 

Had no vested interest in the race, but would have been very upset at the final outcome. Cohens horse was not going to pass Puddin if they went around again. BAD call on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:34 am 

i beleive the horse was taken down because jockey inadvertenly hit the other horse with his whip
and automatically dqed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 pm 

She herded the horse out ten paths. Of course she should have come down. A no-brainer even without the whip.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 pm 

blackthroatedwind wrote:
She herded the horse out ten paths. Of course she should have come down. A no-brainer even without the whip.

Herded? I'm gonna say that's the equivalent of influenced but still throat, the stewards in every case make an assumption that a horses action would have affected the outcome of the race. At that point I just don't see where Sugar Trade would have passed her had she(the winner), run a less intrusive path. Not trying to make your head explode just that I've seen instances where much more interference has taken place and no action has been taken.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:13 pm 

No horse has to be an "eventual winner" to be fouled. No foul has to involve contact.

I rant and rave about DQs now and again but sometimes I understand the way the stewards make a decision.

BTW, Clint, I got out to the bank this morning, the smoke shop, and to the beer docks. I was on foot. I kept my clothes on, the bayonet well-hidden down my pants, and didn't bother any women or small children. And I can't get arrested tonight at home. I've already put the explosives and my matches in a safe place.

On a serious note, I miss you, Buddy, and hope to go railratting with you in the spring. Pop's kid brother (my Uncle Pat) was NYPD many years ago. In the 17 house downtown.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 pm 

Horses are herd animals. If a horse either inside or outside of them drifts towards them they will drift away. That is why when a horse bears out the horse outside of it gets " carried " without there being contact. No, all stewards do not understand this implicitly, but this is fact. When horses drift like this it intimidates the outside horse and makes it very hard for this horse to pass the leader. Jockeys do this because stewards allow it. In my opinion it should not only be illegal and strictly enforced, I also think it is dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm 

As a herd animal JACQUES WHO understood that being in front or being last would make him a target for a predator as a herbivore. The sonuvabitch could run but when he engaged the leaders he would take himself up in a race.

He had a Fan Club in New York with signs at the track as a maiden for all the times he ran second - I'M JACQUES WHO, I GO NUMBER TWO!

You could have made a fortune plowing this horse with place and show money.

JACQUES finally got shipped out and was able to break the maiden at Rockingham Park.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 pm 

[quote="blackthroatedwind"]Horses are herd animals. If a horse either inside or outside of them drifts towards them they will drift away. That is why when a horse bears out the horse outside of it gets " carried " without there being contact. No, all stewards do not understand this implicitly, but this is fact. When horses drift like this it intimidates the outside horse and makes it very hard for this horse to pass the leader. Jockeys do this because stewards allow it. In my opinion it should not only be illegal and strictly enforced, I also think it is dangerous.[/quote]

Life is easier when there are people who can say things more clearly than you can. Agreeed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:12 am 

Never mind the DQ, I could swear that JACQUES WHO broke his maiden in New York. I could be wrong but I do recall him winning with Cordero.
Angel tricked the horse that day. It may have been after JACQUES WHO broke his maiden.