The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: rachel sucks bails out
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm 

Indeed, she may. I hope not, but I don't believe for a moment they are doing anything that is wrong for Rachel Alexandra. She's given too much, and both owner and trainer have seemed not anything but grateful and privileged.

Wishing your colt a long and happy life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm 

I remember a time when decent horses raced and weren't coddled and put under wraps or laid up after a fart or a second in a stakes race.

Fans and players and old farts like me will be gone before too many years so that Champions can race maybe once or twice a year and be cheered while they're in the barn while being kissed and stroked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm 

They aren't machines, even humans need to rejuvenate with a break from work called a vacation..It is only my humble opinion but what purpose was served with her not being given a break from the track from September through December and bringing her back in January. There are plenty of opportunities for the gals to meet what was the big rush of going to Apple Blossom..send her to the farm and bring her back in June..she's not going to lose that much conditioning and it's easier to get an older horse fit quicker..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I remember a time when decent horses raced and weren't coddled and put under wraps or laid up after a fart or a second in a stakes race.

Fans and players and old farts like me will be gone before too many years so that Champions can race maybe once or twice a year and be cheered while they're in the barn while being kissed and stroked.

True Pole and there is no denying the breed has gotten weaker. but...an interesting aside....Medical advancements have also given connections the ability to make decisions proactively rather than reactively..ie a breakdown / catastrophic injury. When your dealing with high value stock and using the best vets and technology you find stuff out..In the case of my colt he was arthritic in his right knee it degenerated very quickly and while he could have and would have WON had we run him..there was a small chance he would have broken down. Only through shooting xrays were we able to pick up on this. 20 years ago this would have been unheard of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:03 pm 

Horse runs 2nd off a 7 month layoff and people have her finished.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm 

It's a disappointment that the big matchup will not happen in the Apple Blossom. There's still a lot of racing left in the year so I'm sure we'll see Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta run against each other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:48 pm 

ThoroughbredZone wrote:
Horse runs 2nd off a 7 month layoff and people have her finished.

Not done simply a big question mark as to whether they would push too hard with her.What does she have left to prove? That she can beat Zenyatta? On her best day it would be a hell of a contest..if her best days are behind her they are going to figure it out in the next 45 days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm 

Publius wrote:
It's a disappointment that the big matchup will not happen in the Apple Blossom. There's still a lot of racing left in the year so I'm sure we'll see Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta run against each other.

Actually it is poetic justice...now Yorker will need to drive the mobile home to Belmont for the big battle...if it ever comes to be...Hot Springs is too small a stage anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:51 pm 

She won't run again. She is toast now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm 

RA's loss only proves what an astounding horse Zenyatta is. To keep that streak going this long is simply out of this world. On TV - RA looked a bit bigger, and maybe that added weight has affected her fluidity. I think we saw that with Curlin as a 4 year old - still a champ - but missing that WOW factor. I blamed the weight - but it could have been the trip to Dubai.

As for RA - I didn't love her works going in - a speed horse like that should hang a few 58's or 1:11's on the tab, to prove they are a go.