The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Del Mar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:47 pm 

The Marine Corps Recruit Depot at San Diego trains Marine recruits. In my time they were the young fellows from west of the Mississippi. I was stationed there for a while as a sergeant in Communications and Electronics Battalion to train people to carry a radio in the field. An old Warrant Officer (Gunner Copeland) ran the show (he must have been 46 or so). Gunner Copeland was a Marine private rifleman from WWII who was made Warrant Officer from staff/sergeant because the Marine Corps needed officers when it exploded from 3 divisions to 5 during Vietnam. Copeland was from Boston and a poor kid as a son from Irish immigrants. He loved me when he was sober.

Anyway, I get a ride north to the Del Mar racetrack. I'm wearing a short-sleeve tropical uniform with oen collar. I figure I can get a bus to San Diego after the races. I have maybe 60 or 70 bucks on me. I'm working the card and go to a bar on the apron to buy a tall one for half a buck when somebody yells out, "Don't touch his money!" A man comes forward and tells the bartender he'll cover everything I might want to drink for all day -"I'm World War Two Army", he says, "and this Marine isn't buying!"

I remember 4 horses in the first being 3/1 with 2MTP and people coming over to me and asking if I needed a beer or a drink. Or some bucks for a wager.

That was my only day at Del Mar ever and I will never forget the kindness that the people there showed to me as a young Marine buck sergeant.

I will never forget the man that went almost nuts when I went to buy a beer prior to the first race.