The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Flashing Tix On The HD Show
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm 

As an old pony player, fan and railrat out of the late 1950s as a lad I go back to the days when racetracks had touts and people selling sheets to the people going in. The suckers never seemed to understand that if the touts could pick a winner they would not need to sell "winners" on sheets. I remember Lawton and the Green Sheet and the truck on Rockaway Boulevard by Aqueduct with a printing press that sold sheets to late arrivals with the first three winners nailed cold via wet ink.

I enjoy the HD show but what is not good is Andy touting a $40 wager on a horse in the getaway after touting losers all day and a huge graphic of a forty-buck win ticket going up in HD. The horse got second.

Playing the ponies is a tough puzzle to get into. This show goes coast to coast and is a beautiful thing to see in HD but none of our local beloved touts or NYRA should be flashing tickets in HD after stinking up the place all day. If Andy could make money with the horses he wouldn't be collecting a paycheck from NYRA. His partner Gabby is close to useless as a New York 'capper.

Just imagine what I could be posting if I had had a losing day at the races with a load on.

Post subject: Re: Flashing Tix On The HD Show
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:52 pm 

Do you remember Walt and Walt's card. Saratoga cars were covered with winners daily for the original 24 days. Too much fill on the Fox show, they are trying.
Maggie saves them daily.
Remember when the mutual tickets were colored for different type of bets. I still have a couple from various tracks, including Las Vegas Downs and Great Barrington.

Post subject: Re: Flashing Tix On The HD Show
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 pm 

Maggie is super-bright and a great judge of horse flesh in the paddock. And she dresses well while my jeans and shirts from the 1970s could use some updating. I have some Marines Corps drawers out of 1969 that are looking at retirement - but not yet.

I never knew Walt and never bought a Walt sheet - I always had the ability to lose money on my own.

Lordy, I don't get out to the track much anymore but I loved being there when I got off my duff.