The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: summer bird year end goal of BC classic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:45 pm 

Pointing to the BC classic over pro ride?

I'm not sure what part of "get him off the synthetic tracks" Tim Ice and the owners missed when Sadler kicked him out of his barn?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... adventures

Quote:
The fact that Ice still trains Summer Bird is amazing in itself. The colt originally was in the barn of John Sadler, who had him up to six furlongs in his works before telling Jayaraman in January to get him off the synthetic tracks.

“He was doing poorly in his works, so I encouraged (Jayaraman) to get him out of here and put him on dirt,” Sadler said. “I thought he was a lovely horse, and I could tell even then he was going to be a route horse. I really liked him, but if I had kept him here it wouldn’t have been good for him.”

Jayaraman then sent the colt to Ice.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/104516.html

Quote:
He looks great, said Ice, who arrived back in Louisiana on Tuesday morning after driving in from New York. The shipping and the race took nothing out of him. He s carrying his weight real good."

Ice did not rule out a start in the Grade 2, $750,000 Super Derby at Louisiana Downs on Sept. 19 for Summer Bird, but said he would first have to assess how the horse does following the Haskell and Travers.

The Super Derby is three weeks after the Travers, Ice said. We need to see how he comes out of those races.

Ice said he liked the six weeks from the Super Derby to the Breeders Cup, which is the season-ending goal for Summer Bird.

Plans are to train Summer Bird at Louisiana Downs until the early part of July, at which time he would ship to Monmouth, said Ice. He will stay on the East Coast through the Travers.