The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Trips & Traps
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:04 am 

Well, two horses from the day's races that stood out based on their trips.

Einstein in the Stephen Foster: We've all heard of the term "race-riding" but today was the first time in my years fo being a horse racing fan where I saw every jockey in the race ride two horses. Einstein looked like the big bad bully who was set up on by all the kids in the neighborhood who were tired of him picking on them. From the moment the gate opened, he was covered up and effectively "boxed" in. He was tucked in behind the two front runners and flanked on both sides by bodyguards. The jock at all times had a firm hold of him and he was well in hand. Turning for home, he was shuffled back to sixth while still close to the pace and when there appeared to be the smallest of openings both he and Asiatic Boy dove for the same hole forcing him into still tight quarters and he eventually dove to the two path to get what little room he could before finishing an absolutely frustrating 3rd.

Precious Passion in the Monmouth Stakes: The most incredible part of the race took place formt he top of the stretch to the finish line. Precious was his usual fleet footed self and set the early pace and at times appeared to have run too hard in establishing such a big lead. Around the far turn he was caught by Proudinsky and turning for home he looked dead, I mean Jimmy Hoffa dead. I'd say he fell behind by at least a length with about a furlong to go when he rose from the dead like Lazarus and overtook Proudinsky while at the same time, Banrock finally shook free and came charging at him. In the end PP held off, Banrock by the smallest of noses while Proudinsky faded badly to third. Very rarely do we see horses passed like that rally again much less win the race.