All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Re: Bye Bye Belmont
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am 

Yall ain't lyin'!?

http://drf.com/news/article/113077.html

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:39 pm 

The quality of racing has dropped sharply all across the country so this is not just a New York thing. It will be very interesting to see how the Monmouth meet plays out. If they increase out of state handle while neighboring states lose handle this experiment might change things for the better and bettors. Maybe there is too much racing. There is 12 months of racing a year in New York. I know people like to compare horse racing to other sports especially auto racing. They have an off season and only race on weekends.

I'll still play NY racing but I'll definately be playing Monmouth.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm 

Racing 12 months in NY is certainly among the things that need to change here. But no real change can take place because NYRA is beholden to other entities that preclude any real change being made. For example, when we had Steve Crist a few months back I had made the suggestion to him that for winter time racing, The Big A cut back to 4 days of racing, and also extend the winter break to go from Mid December to mid February. As I understand it, NYRA isn't even in control of choosing racing dates, having to get approval from the NYSRWB i believe, (I could be wrong, if so plz correct me).

In essence this is what NJ has done and it's already being well received with larger fields and purses under the restructering that they've done. The Big A could still operate as a simulcast facility and if handled right,( which is a big if), racing money could still come in from wagers made to help alleviate concerns of the horsemen during the 2 month hiatus.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:09 pm 

bigbird914 wrote:
Racing 12 months in NY is certainly among the things that need to change here. But no real change can take place because NYRA is beholden to other entities that preclude any real change being made. For example, when we had Steve Crist a few months back I had made the suggestion to him that for winter time racing, The Big A cut back to 4 days of racing, and also extend the winter break to go from Mid December to mid February. As I understand it, NYRA isn't even in control of choosing racing dates, having to get approval from the NYSRWB i believe, (I could be wrong, if so plz correct me).

In essence this is what NJ has done and it's already being well received with larger fields and purses under the restructering that they've done. The Big A could still operate as a simulcast facility and if handled right,( which is a big if), racing money could still come in from wagers made to help alleviate concerns of the horsemen during the 2 month hiatus.

The pols who have no clue and the State Wagering Board who are hacks for the most part mandate a certain amount of racing. But that could be changed. The current model is clearly outdated but I don't think things will change in NY. Did you hear about the "audit" performed by hack Comptroller DiNapali? His audit concludes that payments to NY tracks have to be decreased to keep OTB alive. In NY it's all about keeping the past it's time OTB alive. I have not placed a bet at an OTB in 7 years. In 50 years I'll break DiMaggios streak.