The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Today's tough Beat - Race 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm 

Three-horse blanket finish. Dead Heat for the place with my P5 beat a nostril for huge with those two.

And yet I think the toughest beat I ever witnessed didn't involve me.

Years ago I was working at Grumman laying voice and data cable and across the street was Vito The Sandwich King. Great bar and kitchen - Tina Tits was the bartender and not 50 yards away was a branch of the Nassau OTB. One day I was off early and into Vito's bar. Walter Zirk was there. Walter was a huge man, elderly and out of Hempstead High School like I was except he graduated 33 years before I did. Ever see an old man six-foot eight and 280? That was Walter.

I think my son John had cut high school that day and was running the bets to the OTB. Walter wasn't a big pony player but he'd get into the action for some deuces. Belmont was running and Walter plays a $2 exacta box in a huge turf field - 60/1 with 30/1.

Down the lane the 60/1 pony is clear by almost ten lengths while the 30/1 runner is full of run holding the place by five lengths. Forty yards to the wire the 60/1 horse goes left and goes over the fence while the 30/1 wins easily. That exacta was paying almost $3,000. That's the toughest beat I've ever seen. Walter said, "I lost four bucks" and that's the attitude to have when you're investing in galloping horse flesh.

Post subject: Re: Today's tough Beat - Race 9
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:39 pm 

:mrgreen: True!!!! Especially Aqueduct since opened...no turf...distance changes...slop...cold...long shots... :roll: beat like you today at Big A!