The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: I was informed Rocket Robert passed away. RIP
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 am 

He was a character. :) the king of the 10¢ super. When he won, that meant he only lost a little on the bet. :P

Post subject: Re: I was informed Rocket Robert passed away. RIP
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:26 am 

I learned of this on FB and am very saddened.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 am 

A true horse player. A nice man always willing to share some Gin. Nice man.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm 

The board has lost an old friend and racing has lost a devoted follower. We shared a few rides back & forth to Saratoga over the years and he talked non stop about his good wins and bad beats. Never lost a bet because he bet the wrong horse, but because he got beat by an idiot jockey or screwed by a crooked owner/trainer. I used to laugh at his conspiracy theories and asked him why he kept playing if everyone was out to screw him. But it was in his veins like it is for all of us. How many times did he bail out of a horrible day with one of his getaway tris or supers, and tell us “it only takes one!” He’d occasionally take a break from racing talk to update me on what his son and daughter were up to. Those were his loves... his children, and horse racing. He had a true passion for the sport and I’ll miss seeing him around the track. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:46 pm 

Vulture wrote:
The board has lost an old friend and racing has lost a devoted follower. We shared a few rides back & forth to Saratoga over the years and he talked non stop about his good wins and bad beats. Never lost a bet because he bet the wrong horse, but because he got beat by an idiot jockey or screwed by a crooked owner/trainer. I used to laugh at his conspiracy theories and asked him why he kept playing if everyone was out to screw him. But it was in his veins like it is for all of us. How many times did he bail out of a horrible day with one of his getaway tris or supers, and tell us “it only takes one!” He’d occasionally take a break from racing talk to update me on what his son and daughter were up to. Those were his loves... his children, and horse racing. He had a true passion for the sport and I’ll miss seeing him around the track. R.I.P.

AMEN

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 pm 

Rocket Rob at a Belmont Board Meeting: "I can't lose today. I have two dollars from the NYRA mystery voucher in my bankroll for backup!" And that smile.

Today I recall fondly The Rocketman, The Woodman and the great, good and gentle man Marty

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:36 am 

1/4 Pole wrote:
Rocket Rob at a Belmont Board Meeting: "I can't lose today. I have two dollars from the NYRA mystery voucher in my bankroll for backup!" And that smile.

Today I recall fondly The Rocketman, The Woodman and the great, good and gentle man Marty

Let us not forget Hoppy!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 am 

Vulture wrote:

Michael Dubb, Jimmy Jerkens, Rudy Rodriguez = Rats

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm 

RIP Robert https://obituaries.nydailynews.com/obit ... fhid=27314