The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: $1.6 million judgment is a black eye for Chad
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:18 am 

worst of it is seeing $918k owed for back wages. falsified time sheets..ugh...3 year investigation..3 years, oh my

Get on top of the fall out with some good PR and positive actions/programs for the workers, say I

Post subject: Re: $1.6 million judgment is a black eye for Chad
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm 

Saw that also. The charges were written in a way to present the situation in the worst possible light.
Think this is industry practice - grooms are paid a set amount, X dollars per day or week to care for X number of horses. These guys are at the barns 24/7 so who knows how many hours they actually put in. I’m sure it’s more than an 8 hour day but who’s keeping track? Do other barns make their grooms fill out time sheets or punch a time clock? “Falsified time sheets” probably show 40 hour work weeks just to have something on file to satisfy a law that time sheets must be kept. This is just the way of life in the barns. Anyone who thinks I’m wrong please post.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:46 pm 

Linda Rice, by the way settled her case last year for $110K. Weaver, McLaughlin and Contessa all have their cases in progress. These are just the ones we know about but methinks they’re going after every barn at NYRA.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:34 pm 

we all know the work hours involved. Employees can be paid hourly or salary, no big news there. The fines are for 'additional hours worked, unpaid or paid at lesser amount'. This leads me to believe they are hired as hourly workers. I work in automotive service. I've worked 50-55 hour weeks for 20 years on a salary based pay structure. I haven't worked just 40 hours in a week since I was in college.

Also, people always get spanked harder when they falsify records and mislead people or obstruct an investigation. We have an awful lot of recent examples of that. I think that is why Chad came to an agreement before this went on the court docket, even as big a number as it was.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm 

Is Resorts world funding these lawsuits as a way to execute their silent war on racing? Eventually to reach a point were they shutter Aqueduct and decouple racing and slots?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:00 pm 

I sincerely doubt that Chad had any idea that his book keepers were so inept.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:04 am 

Chad's running a huge outfit now. I am certain that the accounting will be tightened up. This young man is from solid stock.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:45 am 

The State had made a determination one day to change the H2B visas for the race track. There are 2 types, Agricultural which we always used, and Houly that restaurants or other such business use. They chose to change this on there own and started this investigation on the liberal ideals of free everything campaign. Chad used the same accounting firms as Bobby Frankle. Every employee works on a set of job descriptions and a agreed amount per week. The State determined that was not sufficient enough for them. Example, if you are a Dairy worker, you milk cows Twice a day, 12 hours apart. Farmers don't pay overtime to come back to milk the cows. Yet, the State expects a hot walker, groom should get extra overtime now. It doesn't work like that. The courts now are going over this is problem in our industry. So in the interim, the state just came up with a fine of 8 dollars an hour overtime for 175 employees per week for 3 years. That's what they did. The State is corrupt and now are attempting to ruin a man's reputation who actually pays his employees more than other trainers. That's why they did.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:27 pm 

The story that was presented to the public did not explain any of this or even attempt to give any context like this. It was obviously written in a way as to rile up the angry mob and yea, ruin a man’s reputation while playing to the social justice warriors. Sad.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:59 pm 

Like I thought the whole time was a Witch Hunt. And they used the biggest name first as a scape goat. Fucking BS.