The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Tampa Tuesday Moves to Saturday Perhaps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 am 

I was speaking with my son John last night and remembering the great days of Tampa Tuesday at Potter's Pub with the built in OTB and the lovely Tammy the barmaid. And the characters - Johnny "Oil Cans", Lonesome George, Rachel the Rack, the Mad Sheik and so many others. Your 16-oz. pints of beer came in 14-oz. glasses but the action and the laughs made up for it.

Anyway, if Aqueduct cancels we figure on moving our tack to Tampa Bay Downs even with some showers in the forecast.

Post subject: Re: Tampa Tuesday Moves to Saturday Perhaps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:59 pm 

I met Nookie Nicole on a 90 degree day that was too hot for a trip to Belmont!

Post subject: Re: Tampa Tuesday Moves to Saturday Perhaps
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm 

Yes, I do remember the lovely Nookie Nicole when she bar tended at Potter's. I'm glad you got there with OG.

One day at Potter's Pub the OTB machines were down and and I was there off the bus with a bankroll. Nicole was a sweetheart with a huge heart and I treated her well. I'd flop her at least a tenner before I had my first beer since I knew she'd take care of me all day. If I hit something good she knew I'd fill her pocket and tip jug

It was early and the bar wasn't crowded but the OTB in Potter's Pub was down. The owner wasn't there and since Nicole had a car and I was off the bus I asked her if she could run my cash to the Levittown OTB for a deposit with my OTB card so that I could phone in the action. She was worried about leaving the bar but I told Nicole that I would handle the stick and be honest about it since there were not many customers there. Her round trip could maybe last 15 minutes.

Nicole left with some fifties and twenties and a C-note as I got behind the bar. That's when I announced to a couple of customers, "Who wants to drink for free until Nicole gets back?"

I am more of an honest gentleman now but I did like those Tampa Tuesdays years ago at Potter's Pub. And Nicole was a great friend and a sweet girl.