The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Sunday 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm 

Like the chances of Sir Sapphire here. Significant rider upgrade to Maragh will get this one closer from the start. The drop will help. Has shown in the past that he may be scared of the wire-or simply likes an off track-but should be excellent value and solid chance

Post subject: Re: Sunday 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 pm 

I've been puzzling with this race for awhile and now have probably over-thunk, but NYspecial-racer Sir Sapphire showed up for me only as a possible 3rd. I think I'm finally on Weekend Action--2 slot was doing pretty well on yesterday's Good surface and maybe Good will hold first race despite the upgrade to Fast. Action had the unfortunate luck of being placed first in his maiden race and has been fighting too-tough competition since; I don't think he's got seconditis and I do think that's why DeMola put him here today. The colt also seems to be able to wait behind a torrid, well, balmy, pace, and I think that's what Missile will bring today, but that colt is on his 3rd outing and going turf to dirt, so I'm thinking he'll scoot and fade against this modestly better company. Question is to me whether Missile will run alone or have company, say, from Her Latest Flame who's outclassed and could rabbit or possibly even Dr. Powderly going back to his bad old ways.

I like Mr. Universe because of the owhership and you cannot argue a 71% ITM rate for the trainer. The tough bullet work at the right time makes this a 'second' race for Mr. U, who clearly had some endurance questions last year, going farther. His numbers say slow, but I'm hoping the Moore's have worked him a lot for the last year and fixed the problem . . . polyps?
Competition might be just a little too stiff for Dr. Powderly after the rest and who I'd otherwise probably have as 2nd, so I'm filling out with Brown's Hill an unknown quantity at Belmont and a long layoff, but I really like the order of works.

2/3/7 cold

Post subject: Re: Sunday 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:07 pm 

You all have a good day! I think I better go outside now.