The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Thursday Aqueduct Race 9
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 am 

1-1/16 mi, turf, 3yo&up, claimers (16K)

My fortunes began to sink during the late card on Wood Memorial Day, and my last hope to recoup some dollars was to backwheel the late DD - the Wood field with True Linnet in the finale. Uncle Mo had tanked and it was what I had left to cling to.

I liked True Linnet's chances: he had a respite since mid-February and he was a Kentucky-bred being sent out by trainer Joe Aquilino, whose stock consists mostly of NYBs. However, drawing the furthest outside post in a race that remarkably stayed on turf was daunting and I placed a hefty Show wager to cover myself (he went off over 13-1).

I can't fault jockey Junior Alvarado. He did the best he could and the outside post diminished his prospects, though I had hoped for a slightly more aggressive ride. The winner, a favorite sent out by Richard Dutrow, ran off the page, but True Linnet was surging in the stretch and looked like a lock for third, but circumstances worked against him (and me) and he settled for fourth, beaten the tiniest nose for the Show spot and my enthusiasm dimmed.

Junior appears to no longer be on the premises - perhaps he's returned to his midwest base (I don't scan the out-of-town entries), and will be replaced today by Abel Lezcano, not the ablest of riders. This jockey has history aboard True Linnet, most of it dismal. He seems reluctant to thread tight needles and that's often de rigueur in turf races, when they so often come charging to the wire in closely spaced packs. However, True Linnet gets the rail today, so that's a marked improvement.

It's a competitive field on paper, and although True Linnet is surprisingly listed at 4-1 ML, I anticipate he'll probably go off closer to the previous 13-1 odds, given far more high-profile barns entered here.

The sun is shining and anticipated rains last night never materialized, so I can't imagine this heat coming off the turf today. I'm probably getting ahead of myself - late scratches won't be posted until later.
I want to emphasize that there is nothing remarkable about True Linnet. In fact, I will consider another sizable Show wager, though I can't tell you how often I placed show bets on Abel Lezcano longshots all winter, only to see him finish fourth repeatedly. This rider just doesn't do it for me, but gotta keep the faith - it's the horse, not the jockey.

Post subject: Re: Thursday Aqueduct Race 9
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:59 pm 

I like TRUE LINNET to show improvement second off the bench.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 pm 

:) Just going to have some fun with different equations, but will maintain moderate confidence in True Linnet by keying him in different triple permutations.

For starters: ex box....1/ALL

Tri...1/2-6-10....1/4-8-10....1/3-6-9...tri box...1-2-9 and finally...1/3-4, because I just kind of like the chances of both Logical Order and Franklin Delano.

Of course, Abel has to bring True Linnet home first...holding my breath on that one, but if he wins, I expect him to be coming down the middle or the outside paths.

I did have an alternate longshot, but didn't draw in. Looking at other runners Fri & Sat, so will conserve funds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:34 pm 

:( Just my luck - couldn't even salvage the exacta.

Lezcano got caught up in a clatch of horses as they rounded the turn for the stretch run and was unable to really ramp up the needed momentum. Did you see how QP's favorite turf jock Espinoza threaded the needle along the rail for the win? That took balls, something which Abel lacks at this stage in his career.....no way was he going to attempt something as daring as an inside move. So you've got to consider these things if you're going to bet this rider in the immediate future.

Geez, they slammed True Linnet down to 5-2!

Honestly thought most of these runners had legitimate shots, but went with the one that owed me. I'm not broken, though, and there will be other opportunities.

As usual, came home to find this board continues to retain the honor of being the graveyard of champions. That's the way it goes.