The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Sunday Belmont Race 10
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:45 pm 

:arrow: Cayo Hueso returned a new gelding, 3/16 on Aqueduct's muddy idt, off a September layoff. Finished sixth in a six-horse field in a rather non-descript outing. Prep?

Was claimed by Chatterpaul, who sticks with regular rider Julio Espinosa. Moves out from the rail to the three-post. The new gelding angle - when it works - often clicks second time out. Will they attempt to change tactics and try to get this devoted speedster to rate? I dunno. But he won on this course, this distance, one year ago at 9-1.

Dr. Dutrow sends out the probable favorite - Retire to What - who is coincidentally announced as a new gelding on this occasion. Appears to be racing in NY for the first time, but has winning profile on grass out of town, which is why he is the ML fave. Dutrow does okay on turf and the trainer has an entry in Race 8, though that one tries grass first time.

I can't stand turf sprints, but I want a little action in the late double. These dashes also provide an opportunity to win for low profile barns that otherwise get drowned at Belmont.

Post subject: Re: Sunday Belmont Race 10
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:36 pm 

Can Rajiv time it right on Can't Refuse? I hope so

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:44 pm 

:arrow: ex box....3-4-6-9-10....tri key...3/4-6-9-10

Don't want to jinx Cayo Hueso, my single in the late DD.

I don't like Goldberg's fave on the cutback in distance, but might be good enough underneath.

Sly is a rascal. Close to The Vest might make for a pace battle. Onzain deserves a shot, but Victor has been off form and uncertain how gelding will run for new trainer Imperio. Deserves a chance.

Remember - that inner turf course is wider now....outside horses have a chance to win.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:46 pm 

Not a fan of Dr. Dutrow in here... has never gone 6F on the Belmont lawn before, and inexcusably came up short vs. better last out at GP.

Race looks ripe for a closer in here, with several types that need the lead... Sly (#4) gets the setup, and a sneaky rider switch in Rosendo, who I've seen ride well at the stick tracks in recent years. Also throwing in the consistent Onzain (#10) who is fresh and loves the Belmont lawn.

ex 4-10/1-4-5-6-10

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 pm 

Sly was gobbling up a lot of ground in that final 1/16th. Game effort. Just short.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:02 pm 

:mrgreen: I didn't really expect much success here - turf sprints are an enigma for me. Had a few bucks from the previous race, so wagered a little.

The layoff didn't bother me in re: the winner - he had a bullet workout listed - but the cutback to a sprint did. Class won out.

Irwin Rosendo is an okay rider (Sly), just unfamiliar with this venue. Will he return to Delaware....probably.

There are bad days and there are good days. This was a good day.
Got back what I blew at Belmont on opening day and, as Jeebs stated, I've restored funds for the Kentucky Derby - another race that has stumped me for a millenium.

Time to eat. Enjoy the evening.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:17 pm 

You'll get better with the turf sprints. Large fields = value. Narrow down to who CAN win, find your price, and go and collect... 8-)