It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Saturday Belmont Race 11 - The Gr. 1 Belmont
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 pm 

1 1/2 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds | G1 STAKES | Purse: $1,000,000

Post subject: Re: Saturday Belmont Race 11 - The Gr. 1 Belmont
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 pm 

I haven't had a clue with these 3yo's this year but they've provided good solid racing and I expect that we'll hear from some of them later in the year and maybe even as 4 year olds. Other than the morning line top 3 the horses I look to get a peice will be Santiva and Prime Cut. Good luck to you all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 pm 

Master of Hounds got crunched in the Brooklyn/Belmont DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 pm 

yeah, i was at the track today and people kept remarking how Master of Hounds was getting bet and how Shackleford was being ignored. Granted the monies wagered is barely a drop in the bucket compared to what will take place on Saturday but it's more than a little surprising seeing the will pays so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:10 pm 

bigbird914 wrote:
yeah, i was at the track today and people kept remarking how Master of Hounds was getting bet and how Shackleford was being ignored. Granted the monies wagered is barely a drop in the bucket compared to what will take place on Saturday but it's more than a little surprising seeing the will pays so far.

That is a routinely quoted negative about Shackleford...he can't get the distance...maybe that is why MOH is favored..no problem with distance. But Castanon doesn't ride at Belmont either.

When was Castanon's last race at Belmont? He is riding against HOF jockeys on their home track.
Francesca had Romans on his program today. Romans was 100% certain that the distance will be no problem for him. Early odds don't support that view.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 am 

Belmont Stakes
Wide open race this year that looks interesting. Sometimes this race can be an afterthought. The early wagering has the public hammering down on Master of Hounds. The American raceing public has had this affection for Aiden O'Brien and the horses he ships from Ireland to run stateside. Unfortunately for the public Mr. O'Brien has not returned the favor with no wins in the last five years. Is this the horse to break the streak? Maybe it is better to let that long streak of futility to continue with someone else's money.

My longshot pet pick is Santiva. He is bred for this long trip and has run well in all of his dirt races. I like the preparation he has received taking five weeks off to prepare for this race from the derby. He is going to be my key horse that will be used with others in multi race wagers and trifectas.

Prime Cut is another horse here that will run well and surprise many with his talents of mobility.

Since Santiva is no lock with will also use Animal Kingdom, Mucho Macho Man, Prime Cut and money burner O'Brien's colt Master Of Hounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:22 am 

The buzz about the Irish horse puts me into a deja vu moment. Back in 1990 I was working a window for the Belmont and the word was out on Dermot Weld's GO AND GO with Mike Kinane up. And yeah, the Irish horse got bet a bit and rolled by more than 8 lengths at 7/1 over THIRTY SIX RED. Chalk UNBRIDLED was off the board.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:53 am 

I must really be missing the boat on Master of Hounds. I just went on drf.com to check out his recent works and it said there are no listed works for this horse. Okay, I know they've been keeping him fit but no listed works off a 5 week layoff? I'm sorry but he's gonna have to beat me to make a believer out of me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:07 am 

bigbird914 wrote:
I must really be missing the boat on Master of Hounds. I just went on drf.com to check out his recent works and it said there are no listed works for this horse. Okay, I know they've been keeping him fit but no listed works off a 5 week layoff? I'm sorry but he's gonna have to beat me to make a believer out of me.

He shipped back to Ireland after the Derby. Equibase doesn't keep European work tabs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am 

Thanks Jeebs, i figured it out after that but i still can't warm to his chances here. And people talk about Johnny V having the home court advantage for the Belmont but Edgar Prado on Prime Cut figures huge here too.Liking him more and more as time draws closer.