It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Parx-9-Bennett G
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:36 pm 

Lindner tough off big drops

Post subject: Re: Parx-9-Bennett G
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:37 pm 

Don't want to come across as picking on anyone. I certainly am open to learn more about the game every chance I get. Maybe you could elaborate for me on this pick. My sheets show that Linder is 0-11 (now 0-12) with horses he has dropped 2 classes. Maybe I am missing something here. Just a little confused at the reason that was given for selecting this horse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 pm 

Handykapper wrote:
Don't want to come across as picking on anyone. I certainly am open to learn more about the game every chance I get. Maybe you could elaborate for me on this pick. My sheets show that Linder is 0-11 (now 0-12) with horses he has dropped 2 classes. Maybe I am missing something here. Just a little confused at the reason that was given for selecting this horse.

0-for-12 is a very small sample size to be placing judgment on a trainer, Handykapper. It's not uncommon for .300-caliber baseball sluggers to go 0-for-12 in a series, or go into an 0-for-25 slump... it happens.

Besides, trainer statistics are best used in assessing value, not necessarily a horse's current form/condition. Every race is a unique situation, and very often, trainer stats can be thrown right out the window. In other words, I'd be more inclined to toss a 3/2 chalk off a 6-month layoff if the trainer is 2-for-60 in that situation than a 20-1 bomb with other hidden merits.

It's what you make of the information that counts. Some here have no use for trainer stats, jockey stats, etc. There is relevance, but it's not enough to arbitrarily throw a horse out when there is more to the handicapping puzzle than stats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm 

Jeebs, I don't think you can compare an 0-12 (3 games) hitter in baseball to an 0-12 (6 month) stat in racing. The pick, appeared to me, as to have been made based on Linder"s previous succeses off of big drops in class of his horses. I was curious where and when this success had been made.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm 

I've hit many Lindner droppers, I don't care about specific statistics or formulator etc. The horse was coming from the fake stuff, so that was a question. It was worth a couple of bucks to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm 

Handykapper wrote:
Jeebs, I don't think you can compare an 0-12 (3 games) hitter in baseball to an 0-12 (6 month) stat in racing. The pick, appeared to me, as to have been made based on Linder"s previous succeses off of big drops in class of his horses. I was curious where and when this success had been made.

I disagree on the sole basis that 0-for-12 -- whether 3 games in baseball or in a 6-month time frame in racing - is still a small sample size. Too much margin for error IMO to take that stat seriously. Twelve $2 bets = $24, and all it takes is a $26.10 winner or more on the 13th try to make the angle profitable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm 

The fact that the horse was worth a couple of bucks to you is fine with me. Just wasn't sure where you came up with the fact that "Linder is tough off big drops". I went back 2 years and see no evidence of this being the case. That's ok. I've seen threads get out of hand here many times and I am certainly not one to go back and forth over something two people have a disagreement over. No big deal. Was just curious.
You'll hit the next one BIG. :)