The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Polar Orgasmic Vortex Coming To New York, Wooley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm 

I understand that I don't live in Minneapolis where 15 below in February is just another cold day with the oil turning to tar in the '61 Olds but today's temps in the 20s at Aqueduct are going to seem like a "heat wave" compared to what's coming for the weekend.

Saturday night's temperature is forecast to be "one degree" in NYC while I'm sure it'll be below zero out here on Long Island.

It's no big deal with heat and comforters and plaid flannel panties & the Elmer Fudd hat (flaps down) for me but I am concerned about the feral cats outside. I'll have the garage open for them but severe cold is just that. It can kill. Mom Nature is a good girl about fertility cycles (except in the NYC welfare handout housing "projects") and no kittens are around in Februrary.

No snow is in the forecast but it's going to be awfully cold.

Post subject: Re: Polar Orgasmic Vortex Coming To New York, Wooley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 pm 

Cats can survive frigid temps if they have shelter from wind. and garage floor

Maybe put down another layer of insulation...,maybe a "discarded "blankie from the inhabitants of :mrgreen: "Downton Abbey :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:41 pm 

Huge amounts of food and shelter are the priority and I can provide both. Food provides internal warmth to cats and the ferals are well-fed with fat stored.

John will be up in Roscoe for the weekend and I can bring in any cats I see that might be in trouble and keep them away from the three "insiders".

Emily is #1 on my list to be cat #4 here. She's a sweet girl, does figure-8s through my legs when I bring out food and purrs when I pet her. When I pull into the driveway with groceries and stop the car she has been known to jump on the hood and sit and stare at me. On my way to the side door she's been seen doing the "flop drop" in front of me with her eyes closed for pettings.

Wild animal? Yes. Has my heart in a tight grip? Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:35 pm 

:) :) :)