The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Farming
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:46 pm 

The pension money doesn't get here until tomorrow so I was forced by circumstances to go out back and weed the farm. This year we have two varieties of tomatoes going along with eggplant, zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers. The next project is to trim some hedges and clear out some brush behind the garage.

It is sad that a man of my age has to prostitute himself as a common field hand to the Madam of the Manor but towards the end of the month it's the best way to land beer, horse, and cigarette money.

Post subject: Re: Farming
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:09 pm 

I agree, it is not easy being a house husband. :) Thank goodness we have the races to fall back on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:39 am 

Today we're playing 'lumberjack' with some tall bushes behind the house (7-feet high). We figure to cut them down about three feet so 1/8 Pole figures the job could go nice and easy with a chainsaw. You can't trim bushes with a chainsaw which became readily apparent when the chain jumped it's tracks.

Watching us is like seeing two of the three stooges. Better yet was the time years ago when I cut through the power cord of an electric hedge trimmer and invented break dancing.

Drinking beer in the garage is still the best way to spend time working outdoors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:35 am 

One Problem, No Beer and we have got to do work. Had to trim bushes by hand. GRRRR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:47 am 

On the brighter side the larder is well-stocked with chow.

When the mailman drops off my check I figure the beer bust will only be an hour away. And then we'll have the late-afternoon action and the Mountain tonight.

This morning we have to work the land to make the nation strong (and keep my bride off our backs).