The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: That Magnavox Television
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:39 am 

The old Dumont set out of Brooklyn had caught fire and was shot to be put out of its misery. My mother had stuffed away a couple or a few bucks every week from the old man's pay and was prepared to purchase a new TV. And so she did in the late 1950s. Cash money from her stash out of a cupboard. Manhattan girls out of 1918 that knew the Great Depression up close and personal were like that.

Two men hauled in this huge box that weighed about 200 pounds. When the four spindly legs were attached the beast was set up and recognized as a television set. Then it got attached to the antenna on the roof with the "rabbit ears" for backup.

The screen was two feet across and once the tubes warmed up we could catch Channels 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 out of New York City! And the TV warmed up the living room during winter when Mom turned down the heat to save on the oil bill. Fuel oil was about twenty cents a gallon then but life was fun for a kid then. You went to school and played ball until dark until you went home for supper and homework and sleep.

During the summer you played ball all day, grabbed some bike riding and maybe grabbed a sandwich or caught a ride from somebody's mother to get to Point Lookout or Jones Beach to go swimming.

I don't remember a lot of fat slobs out of the 1950s. The couch in the living room was for "adult company" and the TV in the living room was for after dark when the kids were tired from being kids all day.

My my, how things do change.