The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Change...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 pm 

Greetings all, it's been awhile.

Still dealing with a divorce and trying to stay away from the ponies (and blackjack table), and since I have a hard time with change, I'm throwing one more into the ring - I am ending a 14-year run in pro sports next week. Starting 2/9 I will be working for Best Buy's corporate communications team specializing in external PR. They've been courting me for a long time, lower level jobs that still would pay me more money, but with everything that's going on, this is the right time.

I have no doubt I'll wind up back in sports one day, but this is a way for me to provide better financially for my daughter, as well as be around her more as she's about to deal with a topic I don't wish on any 3.5 year old.

Downside is, more time on my hands and more money, dealing with someone who likes to gamble especially when things aren't going well. When I don't have her, I need to find (healthy) things to do. I'm talking to a therapist, a pastor, several board members, anyone who will listen right now.

Always love getting DM's texts etc from people on here. Thanks so much, it means the world.

And please buy Best Buy so I can achieve my 15% bonus next year :)

Post subject: Re: Change...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:18 pm 

Already own a little, after it appeared in Barron's magazine. A publication that's made me $$$$'s. Try to find a way to NOT touch your income, have it diverted to funds or tax free instruments, or re-invest all dividends into each stock you own. Find stocks that pay 5% or above. Get your daughter a 527 acc't or a college fund like that.

Think out 5 years and beyond.

BBY is up.96 cents today, and watch FUN for awhile, it pays a near 6% dividend, run by former Disney managers.

Post subject: Re: Change...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 pm 

I still have no advice, only great wishes out to countrystan.

I still have no idea why the busty 18-year-old teen bride is still with me after blowing by the age of sixty last May. Every marriage has some rugged times - and it breaks my heart to see so many bust up with young children involved.