The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Well, Winter Finally Got Here
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:00 pm 

I know it's colder north of Long Island but at 3:46 this morning when the momcat crawled out from under the comforters next to me and jumped on my chest to wake me up for her breakfast it was 10 degrees outside. I stayed in bed until 5:30 before I got up to feed her. That's when she went back to bed to rest up for lunch and I didn't.

The wet food I laid out for the ferals got gobbled in a hurry because it freezes within minutes. The water bowl was a solid block of ice. We're laying out lots of kibble today and rotating bowls of warm water for them. The cat condos are booked solid as the outside cats share them in small groups for warmth. They are hardy animals with winter coats so the ferals should be OK with the good plentiful food, water and shelter.

Post subject: Re: Well, Winter Finally Got Here
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm 

I got home at noon from dropping John off at the train station and caught the wife dicing up a huge warm ham steak for the outside cats. Her heart is always in the right place it seems. The sun is shining brightly under blue skies and the temperature has soared to 19 degrees.

She has architectural plans for building extra cat shelters from huge cardboard boxes, straw, old comforters and large plastic garbage bags for waterproofing. She has sources nailed down for each and will be rolling around tomorrow morning to make her purchases. I'll be the dork out back in the Elmer Fudd hat (flaps down) on the deck building "affordable housing" for cats.

Post subject: Re: Well, Winter Finally Got Here
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:30 pm 

:D :D :D