The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Dig Out Day +1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am 

The local high school is at the end of a residential street. Cars are parked on both sides of the street buried in mounds of snow. The school buses and oncoming traffic can't pass each other. I avoided that horror at 7 a.m. but could see it getting worse. The newspapers from NYC never made it but I got my warm muffin and loaded up with cat food. It's just 22 degrees this morning and all the side streets that were deep slushy skid pits yesterday afternoon are now a rock-hard frozen landscape. There are mountains of snow everywhere and assholes driving around with two feet of snow on the roof.

Post subject: Re: Dig Out Day +1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:31 pm 

At least in Nowestch, the town does a great job of snow removal. Usually, Independent plowers patrol the street looking for business after regular customers are plowed. Not this storm!
Last year was one 8 inch snow storm after another. I don't know which was worse... this storm of 15+ here or 8" every other day all winter. I'd vote for one big storm...here and gone...if, IF Saturday was it for the year.

I lived in Manhattan in 1978, and my car was snowed in until March! In 1983, I lived in Manhattan and worked in NJ after my company moved there. I drove home to Manhattan during that blizzard. Took me 4 hours with 60 mph winds and heavy,falling snow via Rt 80. The snow was so heavy, by the times I got to Riverside Drive to traverse the streets to my garage on E 88th street, I had to get out of the car every block because the wipers could not clear the snow fast enough. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:00 pm 

My Saturday, Sunday and Monday Newsday were just delivered. I will not complain. The weather was brutal and the guy who delivers my newspaper is very reliable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:21 pm 

I had laid the garbage can and the recycle can behind the house just before the blizzard hit so they would't get blown out of here and so this morning I waded through three feet of snow drifts to retrieve them. While out there I removed the snow that had blown into the cat condos and laid out more food. The water bowl was freezing but cats are survivors and I have watched them eating snow when thirsty. I will continue to lay out extra dry food all day and water once the temperature gets above freezing.

I haven't made a head count but I did see Ginger, Garfield and his identical twin Orange Boy, Black Beast and Little Grey this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm 

You are a Cat Saint.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:53 am 

And on Dig Out + 2 I rolled into ShopRite this morning at 7:20 a.m. basking in 40-degree warmth. The newspapers from NYC were on time and over by the fresh fish counter there was a huge tub of Chicken of the Sea sardines in water on sale for 77-cents a can. I grabbed a bunch. I fed the ferals before I went out this morning but I knew they hadn't eaten well over the weekend so I laid out platters of sardines for them when I got back. They happily lapped up all the fishy water and then gorged themselves on sardines. Jeez, they love to see me pull into the driveway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:12 am 

Goin to heaven! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:52 am 

Emily and another black cat regular showed up for dinner last night. I hadn't seen them since before the blizzard hit. Looks like the ferals sheltered well for the bad weather. Even Emily's and Ginger's parents Sad Face and Nasty Mom were here.