The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Coldness, Wooley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:26 pm 

Nope, I've never been in cold like my late father-in-law saw at the Chosin Reservoir in Korea with 5th Marines (20+ below). No, I ain't never been outside in 15-below on a sunny morning in Minneapolis.

The best I remember on Long Island is 2 or 3 below and that was three decades ago.

One time I was up in a hotel in Salem, New Hampshire (home of Rockingham Park) and my home office was in North Andover, Massachusetts. It was 8 below and I was thrilled when the rental car fired up. I zipped out of the parking lot and immediately jumped on I-93 south for a meeting.

No proper warmup. In a minute or so my breath had iced up the inside of the windshield. Solid ice and I couldn't see. Fortunately for me I was still in the right lane and eased the car onto the right shoulder expecting a great collision. No crash but a lesson learned. Scared the hell out of me. True story.

Cold is best done under lots of blankets with a young wife and the heat working or, as an old fart, under lots of blankets and comforters with a warm feral momcat that tolerates you until she wants her breakfast at 4 a.m.

Either way, you won't be shivering.

Post subject: Re: Coldness, Wooley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:54 pm 

Delivered mail in Saratoga at Christmas time in the mid-fifties,
when the temp hit -25. I was at home from Mich. State on Winter Break.

By 1PM it was only -12.

Post subject: Re: Coldness, Wooley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 pm 

I check the temps in my Newsday most every day. Last week during a cold snap in the midwest I noticed that Minneapolis was projected to warm up to zero under sunny skies.

Al Gore is still counting his bags of "Global Warming" money while ordering up another barge load of oil to heat the Tennessee mansion.

As an aside, I remember the "best minds in science" predicting a "new ice age" back in the 1970s. Hey, I had a CB radio back then too for the best communications that could ever be while you were on the move.