The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Got A Question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:45 am 

Any one can suiggest some good LAND or a small HOUSE in and around teh Saratoga area...

Thinking about buying something small, that I can rent out rooms during the season and maybe during ski season...i LOVE the area...

Is the market bad there as it is everywhere else around teh US??

Any ideas thoughts?? What would work there??? B&B In town Out of town??? farm, Land, Addition project?? Wilton?? of the Thruway?? 87?? What are your thoughst??

Post subject: Re: Got A Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 pm 

Anything in the general vicinity would work for the summer season. For skiing, I'd suggest you try a little north of the city and not too far off Rte 9. Wilton wold be a good choice. If you get a good deal on land, there are some nice log cabin kits that are very affordable (and nowhere near as rustic as you'd think - these are 21st century cabins!) and comfortable. Just make sure you're not out in some place like Lake Desolation, you want to keep it close to the highway so it will be passable in the snow.

Post subject: Re: Got A Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:31 pm 

For multi unit rentals (or anything for that matter) there is little affordable close in town or close to track, even in this economy. Overpriced property isn't moving outside town, but otherwise it's not a terrible market. We priced our house 10% below what we felt was full retail from a year ago and sold it in 4 days for asking price (had to move it fast). I agree that for top dollar walking distance is a pretty key attraction. For any hope for some sort of ski season activity you would definitely need to be much further north, closer to Gore, which is 50 minutes away. So I would dismiss that idea pretty quickly. Word of mouth was that track rentals were fairly soft last year - I would probably expect worse this year. The Skiddies conveniently start school just as track season ends and keep the rentals full for the 9 months of school, and most of those kids go home for the summer, which then allows you 4 or 5 weeks to get your place cleaned up, etc for the $$ track folks. I agree with Aspidistra that up route 9 in Wilton and even into Gannesvort, you could find some less expensive property for some log cabin type deals, in fact theres a couple up there and I think they do ok for track season because we used to bring our dog to the kennel up that way and they looked fairly full. but you probably wouldn't be getting top dollar for those type of rentals and I think they basically close up the other 46 weeks of the year since there's not really a market for that sort of accomodations the rest of the year. So I'm thinking those folks own the property outright because otherwise I coudln't see them making it. There are quite a few B&B's in town and outside town, so there's no pent up demand there.

You can look up the number for Race City Realty, they handle a lot of the track rentals and they might be more knowldegeable about the local market conditions for what you are attempting to pull off etc.

Don't want to discourage you, but it'll be a challange any way you look at it so good luck!