The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Doctors Don't Let You Feel Well - Any Advice?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:13 pm 

I saw my GP on Monday and she went over my blood work with me. I have no STDs, no HIV, my 68-year-old heart and lungs sounded fine and I got my thyroid medication prescribed.

BUT....

She wanted me to see the cardio doctor who was in today. I wasn't thrilled but I saw him. I caught an EKG and a sonogram on my carotid arteries.

Guess what...?

THAT doctor told me that my heart was OK and that my carotid arteries on the sides of my neck weren't all clogged up BUT he wanted me to catch some prescriptions for cholesterol and blood pressure AND go to his office in Hicksville next week for a stress test.

Do you see where this is going? I don't want anything to do with a doctor while I'm feeling A-OK as an old fart but Medicare catches 80% of the bill for all these "tests" and "visits" while I catch 20% of the large bills for stuff I do not want while I'm still upright with a horse to play and a beer to sip and a wife to love and a home to take care of in good health.

My service as a U.S. Marine regular that started 51 years ago and lasted four years entitles me to VA care at no cost as a war veteran and I have an appointment for a VA doctor to work me head to toe on October 27th for a full G.I. series physical. I'm not thrilled with a government doctor or anything to do these days with any level of government but I'm not thrilled either with civilian doctors tossing me over the hurdles with "tests" and "visits" to grab the Medicare dollars. Not while my overall health is A-OK at the age of 68.

I will make that VA appointment on October 27th but I'm not sure what I'll do with the civilian doctors that want me to jump through hoops and keep the Medicare dollars flowing.

The teen bride of just 43 years is the daughter of a Purple Heart Marine out of Korea (5th Marines, A Company, 1st Battalion) and she says I should put off the civilian doctor appointments and go see the VA doctor for a full physical on October 27th before making a decision about my health care as an old disgusting cat lover.

I'm thinking but I'm not sure how to go. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Doctors Don't Let You Feel Well - Any Advice?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:01 am 

My advice to you, young man, would be to do nothing with Dr.#1 until after the 27th, and consider the VA Dr. a second opinion. Save your $$ for your old age, and ask the VA if you need a stress test, medications for cholesterol, and blood pressure meds. The bp stuff opens up a can of worms on its own, the rest is cake (providing you survive the stress test :lol: ).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:55 am 

I once had a bad molar and I was taken away to see a Navy dentist. He was a young new ensign that had made a great deal with the United States - his tuition was paid if he put in some years with the United States Naval Reserve as a DDS. He was an officer and a gentleman with zero debt for schooling. He was maybe 26 or thereabouts. I was 20.

Him: "I can save that tooth, sergeant, but you have to get back to your outfit and I'm taking it out."

Me: "F*&k!"

Him: "I'm sorry. Time me. Once I load you up with novocain it'll be out in 30 seconds."

Me: "F*&k!"

With a small crowbar and a pair of pliers the molar was out in a hurry.

That's government care to me but I'm in between a rock and a hard place now with government Medicare on one side and government VA care on the other.

I think I might take the bride's and Mr. Saratoga's advice - go see the VA for free before I go bouncing around Medicare for huge deductibles with civilian doctors.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:50 pm 

It is tough to tell when a doctor is being thorough, or is just trying to drum up business with more tests that are unnecessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 pm 

I wouldn't go the civilian doctors Seems to me chlosterol and P I meds are de" reguer. Your arteries are Clear. Your heart is strong What was your BP measure that you need meds? How about chlosterol readings ? I"d go to VA DR for a physical A oolon cancer test and prostrate,cancer test more important than chlosterol meds for soneone with clear arteries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 pm 

My BP was 168 over and I understand that was higher than ideal.

So what happens to me? I catch prescriptions for $106.47 while feeling well with no sign of cancer and multiple appointments to monitor my blood pressure, grab a stress test and land in the office of the cardio foreigner in Hicksville who I figure is going to bang Medicare while I catch huge deductibles.

I'm going to give the Veterans Administration a fling.

I was asked by VA intake if, as an old-fart Marine, I would mind a female MD conducting my full G.I. series physical head-to-toe on October 27th. One on one. I learned that guys out of Vietnam and earlier and even younger vets prefer to see a male doctor but I said it was fine by me. I'm going to see a doctor concerned with my health, not a gal on her way with me to the Star Hotel in Long Island City for the $4 Honeymoon Suite.

I was leaning towards seeing the VA before the civilian doctors swallowed me up with Medicare bills and deductibles but Wooley, Mr. Saratoga and even my teen bride have helped me make a decision. I'm going to the VA to see what happens. The premiums and deductibles for VA medical care were paid by me just over half a century ago as a 17-year-old Marine regular with four years to do and I did it.

I thank you for the advice and can't wait for the digital prostate exam from a woman. I think my blue eyes might go rainbow and spin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:30 pm 

I cancelled all my civilian appointments and will next see the VA doctor gratis on October 27th.