The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Flash Driving My Way To Happiness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm 

No, not that kind of flashing. We caught a power outage Monday night and when service was restored the bride's PC in the den took a hit and wouldn't boot. "Blue screen of death" and no keyboard or mouse. Fortunately she had all her "stuff" backed up and had a new Win10 machine in a box. I installed that for her. I spent all day Tuesday fixing the cooked PC down at the basement saloon PC station.

With my PC in the man cave I configured a boot program for a 64-bit PC on a flash drive. Downstairs I was able to attempt a boot from the flash dive and got back the K/B and mouse but I was unable to repair the hard drive with any of the chdisc software. From there I booted from the flash drive and via F11 got into the recovery sectors on the HD. I did a full recovery successfully and the old PC went back to Windows 7 Home Premium just like it came out of the box several years ago. From there it was all updates and a good freebie update to WIN10. The hard drive hadn't fried, just some boot-up data got blown out.

Today the bride is on a mission to purchase a power strip with monster surge protection and I'm back to being a hero until the next time I piss her off.

Post subject: Re: Flash Driving My Way To Happiness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:32 pm 

Put a repair sign out front.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:46 pm 

Do you make house Calls?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:33 am 

Mr Saratoga wrote:
Do you make house Calls?
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 pm 

A lot of things have passed me by but a PC is still basically just a tin box with a hard drive, some memory and a communications device. If the hard drive is OK and merely corrupted there are ways to get into it to "unscrew it up". Backup is key - you can always retrieve to a new or different machine what ain't been fried or corrupted.

I just wish I was brighter with software like some of the younger people here. I'm an old hardware/communications guy. I'd rather be inside the box with tools to replace a hard drive than fiddledicking a keyboard with code to repair one.