The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Winter & Water For Feral Cats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm 

One would think that in freezing weather feral cats would catch water from eating snow but one would be wrong. Cats are well-equipped to withstand freezing weather if they can catch shelter from the winter winds, stay dry and catch some good food but they understand that staying warm is key and that eating snow is a killer.

Water freezes and so does wet cat food. What to do if temps are in the teens or lower?

Well, shelter is provided here with the cat condos and the side door of my garage always seems to open just enough for a cat to slide by to get out of the wind and weather.

I lay out food several times a day after taking a head count so that the wet food does not get wasted by freezing. I buy cat kibble in the 16-pound bags and that's always outside.

Water? I have learned that in freezing temperatures the feral cats will drink heartily from bowls of warm water out of the tap when you bring out food for them in cold weather so I do that. They won't eat snow when thirsty - they need to keep their insides warm just like you do in winter.

Post subject: Re: Winter & Water For Feral Cats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:46 pm 

The feral family looks good in the pic of them in this thread. Quite a contrast from Mom cat and Shiloh sacking out on beds...like Downton Abbey

Post subject: Re: Winter & Water For Feral Cats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am 

I can't save them all but I give a shot to the ferals that don't get beaten down by sickness or weather.

Scrawny Emily is working on her third winter by my house with some meat on her via lots of food. She's a sweet gentle cat that possesses a strong desire to live. She loves me for pettings but can go nuts with fangs and claws with male cats that like her.

She's a survivor. I'm sorry she's not a house cat here with Garfield and Tuxedo and Bosco but three cats are already here.

The VA is generous with my health care as an old Marine but hormones and surgery to make me a Crazy Cat Lady are not covered.