The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Insurance Follies & Getting Complacent & A Lesson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 pm 

As new homeowners back in 1978 with a mortgage the bride and I needed home insurance. With a tip from an older friend out of Hempstead and Our Lady of Loretto we went to a local broker that represented Nationwide. Carol was a classmate of my friend Frank and she caught my insurance business. Years later Carol tied up our cars with the home for a good insurance package deal.

Frank died last week, which has nothing to do with this story, but some years back Carol retired and her son took over her insurance business and the wife and I stayed with him and Nationwide - never missed a premium and never made a claim.

Fast forward more than three decades from 1978. The teen bride is retired and the only car here is a 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan. Nationwide keeps jacking our premiums. We were "complacent" and kept paying. The teen bride saw a chance to cut expenses.

A few months ago the bright girl I married went shopping for a better insurance deal and even though it took more than fifteen minutes we were able to catch an OK deal from GEICO for both the home and the car. We booted Nationwide after almost four decades and now stand to save almost $2,000.00 over the next year for equal coverage for our home and the automobile.

Being complacent and comfortable with something is a good feeling but when you're paying for it - catching the better deal is the best way to go.

Post subject: Re: Insurance Follies & Getting Complacent & A Lesson
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 pm 

Smart move.

Post subject: Re: Insurance Follies & Getting Complacent & A Lesson
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:39 pm 

As homeowners beyond the age of 60 and living in a place that catches snow and ice our new insurer is concerned that there are no handrails on the front steps. Liability is huge with insurance claims. Our original quote for coverage is jumping with no handrails out front

We have loose mortar from the freeze/thaw cycle of winters past on the front steps the bride bought some years back. Installing handrails into something coming apart isn't a bright thing to do.

Cousin Courtney (my goddaughter) and her husband Anthony are well-to-do contractors with a home in Suffolk County to go along with the new large home and the bar/restaurant up in Roscoe, New York.

Courtney and Anthony are providing a crew this week (if it ever stops raining) to rebuild the front stoop for "Aunt Colleen and Uncle La La". Once the concrete cures, another crew is on tap to install some monster handrails.

The cost? I don't know. The bride and Courtney's mom Maureen are first cousins and Maureen was the Maid of Honor at our wedding 44 years ago. The wife's family is tighter than an ant's ass while my family is mostly dead or scattered.