The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Hurricaine Irma
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 pm 

Talk about timing...Am in Holiday, FL visiting my sister for the past few weeks. Town is on bay side west of interstate 19 just N of Tampa Bay in PASCO County.
Really scary. Evacuation of 6.5 million people. Gas,water.bread.etc. flashlight,batteries, etc gone past Monday/Tuesday.

Evacuations began in FL Keys and Miami when storm was going to go up the east coast The interstate roads are now all like the LIE...maybe worse. Took my cousin who was in Miami, 20 hours for a usually 5 hr trip to Ocala on wednesday The roads are beyond jammed. Like a long,long parking lot. Shelters are full. Redirecting people to other places...NO Gas. Last gas I could get was Wednesday!
You have to have all gear you need with you in the shelter.: chairs,.mattresses,,towels, blankets, food etc. Shelter in a school gym. If you didn't own the stuff by Wednesday that you will need, SOL. One county planned for 14 shelters and need 40 now. Stores are all closed. If you don't have food now, too bad.

I've experienced a few hurricaines in NY ...Sandy where I lost electric for 13 days in the burbs! But, I am truly scared here. Fl is doing the best they can but how do you move 6.5 million ppl in one direction in a few days by car :roll: The airport had no tickets out as of Wednesday and the Tampa airport closed today. Have never visited FL except for business several years ago...now, I may never be able to leave! :roll:

After the wind and rain do their damage, then the 10 ft storm surges from the gulf into the bay do their thing.

Post subject: Re: Hurricaine Irma
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am 

wooley85 wrote:
Talk about timing...Am in Holiday, FL visiting my sister for the past few weeks. Town is on bay side west of interstate 19 just N of Tampa Bay in PASCO County.
Really scary. Evacuation of 6.5 million people. Gas,water.bread.etc. flashlight,batteries, etc gone past Monday/Tuesday.

Evacuations began in FL Keys and Miami when storm was going to go up the east coast The interstate roads are now all like the LIE...maybe worse. Took my cousin who was in Miami, 20 hours for a usually 5 hr trip to Ocala on wednesday The roads are beyond jammed. Like a long,long parking lot. Shelters are full. Redirecting people to other places...NO Gas. Last gas I could get was Wednesday!
You have to have all gear you need with you in the shelter.: chairs,.mattresses,,towels, blankets, food etc. Shelter in a school gym. If you didn't own the stuff by Wednesday that you will need, SOL. One county planned for 14 shelters and need 40 now. Stores are all closed. If you don't have food now, too bad.

I've experienced a few hurricaines in NY ...Sandy where I lost electric for 13 days in the burbs! But, I am truly scared here. Fl is doing the best they can but how do you move 6.5 million ppl in one direction in a few days by car :roll: The airport had no tickets out as of Wednesday and the Tampa airport closed today. Have never visited FL except for business several years ago...now, I may never be able to leave! :roll:

After the wind and rain do their damage, then the 10 ft storm surges from the gulf into the bay do their thing.

Mandatory evacuatioin. I am scared.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm 

On the 15th of September I do have great concern for you, Wooley.

A tad of worry as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:34 pm 

Back...back in the USA!!! :lol: So happy to see "home" from Westc airport!

Avoid FL in hurricane season! Mandatory evacuation for areas on west coast near water. 2 days after hurricane...no gas..no stores open...no food!

9 million people driving back down to FL. Gridlock to rival NY.
My sis lives near water and has 3 dogs. We evacuated to a high school about 10 miles away in driving rain and howling winds. I was very surprised at accommadations. People w/dogs separated into different areas from non-dog people. Used high school classrooms to house people.. 8-10 people to a room. Had TV's in all classrooms, school had a generator and lights and AC. Power was out all over FL for days. Not fun in 90deg heat and humidity.

Most people prepared to go to shelters had gear with them including coolers, food ,air mattresses, etc. "Breakfast" and "lunch" served in HS cafeteria. This HS was one of 40 open in the county. 2000 people in the shelter at this high school. Impressed with management and plan at this HS shelter! Akin to staying at a motel 6!

The fun began after the shelter closed past Tuesday! NO stores open anywhere, no gas,no food. My sis's area got power back 2 days after we left shelter.
Duke energy did a very good job in their service area. I lost power in my place in Westc for 13 days after hurricane Sandy. Happy to be back!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

Good news!