The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Got "Piped" and "Scoped" At The VAMC Friday - No Big Deal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm 

I hadn't eaten in two days and had to guzzle some bad colonoscopy prep stuff Thursday night and Friday morning beginning at 4 a.m. to get totally flushed out. And I thought I drank some nasty stuff as a Marine.

In all seriousness it was just an unpleasant thing we sometimes do to maintain our health. I hadn't had a colonoscopy done in 25 years and when my last blood work came up slightly anemic there was concern I might be bleeding somewhere. In the back of my mind the "Big C" was a thought but not a big one. My VA doctor at the local clinic wanted me in the VA Medical Center out in Northport for a colonoscopy and endoscopy under general anesthesia and today was my day. If you're not admitted they won't let you drive out of there after being knocked out so my busty teen bride was my driver.

They put my lights out in the OR and I got piped from the top end and scoped from the bottom. The pipes up top are in good shape and my stomach is ulcer and blood free. Down below two benign polyps were removed from my colon (which is common and no cause for alarm) and my colon is in good shape with no sign of colorectal cancer. I'm not leaking blood. Beyond a pinprick "ouchie" for an IV the procedures are painless with zero discomfort afterwards.

No, I don't care to post about my doctors or medical stuff. And nobody likes strangers going up their ass with a machine that has a camera and headlights on it. The purpose of this post is to let people know that preventive tests are the way to go as we age and that most are not as bad as one would think. Drinking the colonoscopy prep laxative at home was a worse deal than the procedure itself and it was easy to do. A simple over-the-counter iron supplement has my "slight anemia" cured. And I can take it with a beer.

Get tested for whatever. Take care of yourself. Give yourself the gift of "peace of mind".