The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Christmas Comes Early
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm 

The wife is a 63-year-old puppy but at the height of the oncoming winter I will be spinning into 70. I've been clearing snow off my property for forty consecutive years and we sat down to talk. She told me that she would get into a contract for snow removal but she understands that I have long prided myself by being outside first to clear snow after a storm and that I'd go nuts waiting for a crew to arrive. She knows I'm not ready for the long dirt nap yet but that bulling our small snowblower through deep snow is an ordeal.

So here's the deal: She ordered for me a large 22-inch, self-propelled, 2-stage Yardmax snowblower that can handle well over 18 inches of snow. I went over the specs and the assembly required will take less than hour. I have the tools and a lot of room for it in the garage we just cleaned out. It'll be here December 12th and I'll be waiting for it with 5W30 synthetic oil and a jug of gas for any snow that might come along. And I will continue to be useful around here as an old fart and that's important.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Comes Early
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm 

The snow blow people phoned today and asked if they could deliver the machine tomorrow (Thursday, November 30th).

OK by me but I won't be putting it together after a day at the races with Mr. Budweiser as a partner.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 am 

You have to "earn your keep" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 am 

Well, it got here yesterday and today is all sunshine with temps going into the 50s. I read the book last night and I'm on my way out back to put it together.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 pm 

Thrills galore with the assembly. I only had one missing part (the adjusting bolt for the shift lever) and one defective part (a control cable turnbuckle). So after registering the product online I called Yardmax and with no wait actually spoke with an American blue collar type at the home office in Illinois who truly knew the machine upside down and inside out.

We went over the parts diagram and assembly instructions from the owners' manual and he told me the parts I needed would probably ship today. Stuff happens and I have no beef with the customer service I received.

Putting things together and moving snow help keep guys like me from being homeless. Tomorrow's schedule seems to be all booked up with some beers and horse racing though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm 

Awesome ,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm 

Do you mean 32 inch ? I don't think they make one that small 22 inch. Up here, I have a 36 inch, 15 HP. Snow banks here are 40-50 inches high.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:48 pm 

22-inch, Jerry. Drifts of 40 to 50 inches don't happen (much) on Long Island. About two and a half feet of snow is the heaviest humping of snow I've seen in the 40 years I'm at my house.

https://www.ruralking.com/snow-blower-21-2-stage.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 am 

I have the 6" toro Texan. Still in the box, but ready to go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 pm 

Toro makes a good machine. My little snow blower is a Toro 418 ZE good for 6 inches but I've pushed it through a lot deeper.

Change the oil and keep it happy with a new spark plug every season and it fires up easily and goes to work.