The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7 & Sgt/Major George W. Dinning U.S.M.C.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 pm 

I missed serving at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941 since I wasn't born until 1948 but after being pulled out of 6th Marines in 1966 after I'd just turned 18 I was sent off for guard duty and to be a rifleman and office flunky for the Battle of Kansas City. That's Missouri, not Vietnam.

I met some WWII career Marines there and one of my bosses was Sgt/Major Dinning. He was a highly decorated Marine from WWII and Korea but he was kid private first class of Marines aboard U.S.S. Tennessee at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. He was a tall lean prick but I admired him and if you did your duty and stayed sharp he was on your side. Master/Sgt. Sharkey was a little Irish guy with almost 30 years in and a sweetheart with young troops but this post is about Dinning.

The book Day Of Infamy by Walter Lord mentions Dinning getting on a 3-inch anti-aircraft gun with Navy shipmates and downing a Jap plane. An after-action narrative from a U.S.S. Tennessee vet that mentions George Dinning is posted on the website of the Marine Corps Association.

https://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/pearl-harbor

That's my link to Pearl Harbor and I salute all the guys that were there - U.S.N., U.S. Army and U.S.M.C.

Post subject: Re: Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7 & Sgt/Major George W. Dinning U.S.M
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 am 

I just found out that Sgt/Major Dinning died at the age of 76 in 1993. One of the great ones for sure.