The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Hay Is Not Only For Horses
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:37 pm 

The wife buys bags of hay for the feral cats. We're catching the coldest weather yet now. The cat condos out back are well insulated and have soft thick beds inside but if we load them up with hay some cats can burrow up inside them and lay up out of the cold in a safe and warm cat "nest". Today's high temperature of 22 degrees is here at 11:30 a.m and the bride just went out back to load up the cat condos with fresh hay.

Food and water freezes quickly so I'm laying out less food now but I'm doing it several times a day. The cats especially enjoy drinking warm water and I supply it during the day. I never expected to be crazy over pussy at my age but life takes strange turns every now and again. I'm just happy that the cats outside that I do feed are all plump and healthy with good shelter available to them. A few of them were sunning themselves on the deck out back this morning when it was 19 degrees - they can tolerate cold very well if well-fed with a good place to lay up.

Post subject: Re: Hay Is Not Only For Horses
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 pm 

:D :D :D Bravo!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 pm 

After a good breakfast Tuxedo likes to sit on the deck and stare at the sun with his eyes closed. If the wind is down and the sun is out (like today) he's fine with the cold. Yesterday he was bunked up during the day in a cat condo with his younger brother Bosco.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm 

:D :D :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 pm 

Tuxedo should be somebody's house cat. He's a sweet gentle beast with marvelous yellow eyes. When I call out to him he trots up to me for some rubbings. He was almost dead when his mother Emily refused to nurse her kittens but I gathered up the three survivors that were clinging to life and his Aunt Ginger took on three kittens near death for nursing that were not her's.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:07 pm 

Tuxedo is likely OK living with his family in a comfortable and stable enviroment.

Aside from the weather...the FF have freedom, food, warmth and a safe place to live :D