The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: The January 4th Blizzard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm 

I'm hoping to get out this evening when it stops snowing to move some snow and hopefully get some food to the feral cats. They are laid up in the garage in good shelter I suppose but I haven't seen any.

That new Yardmax 2-stage snow blower should get a good workout but it's a monster and should save my old carcass a lot of work.

Post subject: Re: The January 4th Blizzard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 pm 

The snow was tailing off at 4 p.m. and I want to get out of here in the morning. Just like I figured there were cats laid up in the garage but I had to move some drifts away from the garage so thy could get out the cat door.

The new YardMax YB5765 2-stage 22" snow blower (6.5HP 196cc Multi-Speed) fired up nicely and caught a good test with the two and three-foot drifts in the driveway. It was tough going but the machine is self-propelled and you just have to let it bite through the snow as best it can where it's very deep. I needed to clear some snow since another "arctic orgasm" is due overnight to plunge the temps to single digits and I wanted to clear snow before it turned into an ice block.

With that mission accomplished I laid out some platters of cat food. The water bowl was under a drift so I laid out cans of tuna, chicken and sardines doused in warm water. It's nastier than hell out there and I'm just glad the power stayed on for heat and light.

Post subject: Re: The January 4th Blizzard
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

I just read in the local paper Newsday that two guys on Long Island over 50 dropped dead shoveling snow last night. I'll be 70 in a few weeks and am happy to report that I wasn't one of them.

I am so thankful for my wife buying me that self-propelled 2-stage snow blower. Without that machine I'd be digging all weekend.