The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Why Women With $$$ Are Trouble
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 pm 

The bride wants an awning to go over the deck - an electric awning with a remote. I tell her it's no good with just 6' 11'' between the deck and the garage roof.

With a bunch of empties today I buy a 12-pack of Schaefer for $4.46 and she's looking to blow thousands where an awning won't work.

On Wall Street the girl is an ace. On her home street the girl is still wonderful but a tad short on what it takes to do something that sounds good.

I just hope to make 40 years with her. Year 37 slid by on May 6th.

Post subject: Re: Why Women With $$$ Are Trouble
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:07 pm 

Money would be better spent with a day at the Track with a cooler and a few stacks of cash. lol

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:47 pm 

1/4 Pole wrote:
The bride wants an awning to go over the deck - an electric awning with a remote. I tell her it's no good with just 6' 11'' between the deck and the garage roof.

With a bunch of empties today I buy a 12-pack of Schaefer for $4.46 and she's looking to blow thousands where an awning won't work.

On Wall Street the girl is an ace. On her home street the girl is still wonderful but a tad short on what it takes to do something that sounds good.

I just hope to make 40 years with her. Year 37 slid by on May 6th.

You probably don't want to hear this Larry, but your wrong. I looked at the picture you have on the photo site with John standing against the wall on the deck. If you installed a crank out awning (Not The SunSetter), but a lateral arm awning it would probably work if mounted up against the gutter. They can be adjusted straight out if necessary. O'K lets say the salesman measuring the awning says its too close. There's brackets that can be mounted "on the roof". They then attach a 2x8 pressure treated board between the roof mounted brackets then mount the awning on the 2x8. Done all the time, in fact I had one on my own house. If installed correctly you'll have absolutely no problem and no leaks.

How do I know? I installed these lateral arm unit's for 15 years before the big chains stared to handle them. They come manually or electrically operated and can project out up to 12ft, last I knew. One thing, they're not good in the wind or rain so wind it up at night. Now go give the good news to your wife. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:44 am 

I only have 6' 11'' from the deck to the gutter and I'm not tearing into the new roof on the garage.

She doesn't want a gazebo tent and I don't care any more. If you want shade you can sit inside or sit in the garage or go sit in a McDonald's.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 am 

A nice 3 season room would look great on that deck. What is her number, I'll give her a call. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am 

There'd be bloodshed if I had to build that thing, OG, although I will admit it's a beauty. A shelter half stuck on a pole and a helmet worked for me 42 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am 

1/8-pole wrote:
Money would be better spent with a day at the Track with a cooler and a few stacks of cash. lol

Yeah, and there's shade at the track when you stand in front of Colleen's bar or go to the windows.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:21 am 

1/4 Pole wrote:
I only have 6' 11'' from the deck to the gutter and I'm not tearing into the new roof on the garage.

She doesn't want a gazebo tent and I don't care any more. If you want shade you can sit inside or sit in the garage or go sit in a McDonald's.

Smart man.

Don't crud your nice new deck up with a roll out awning. The whole deal will look like a motor home parked at a damn KOA camp ground. The only thing you'll be missing are the tires. Plus, awnings are hard as sin to keep clean. All of them.

Even the simple gazebo tent awning from Home Depot or Lowe's is a better idea than the bride's. It gets dirty, you can trash it, and buy another one.

Keep things simple. Simple's good; it looks nicer.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 am 

The swing has a canopy, the table has a huge umbrella inside the garage ready to go. The house, the inside of the garage, and the downstairs saloon all provide shade.

I need a nuclear-powered awning with a remote control like I need a federal subpoena.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:56 am 

See the hole in the table? An umbrella that could shade a crowd of 60,000 fits in there. She's crazy I tell you!