The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Union Mail
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 pm 

I ended my working career with some years at a job that was Communication Workers of America, Local 1109. I got vested and catch a pension from CWA.

Today I catch a huge envelope from CWA Local 1109. It was interesting - the pension fund is going broke but expects to keep going for some more years as the people paying dues are not keeping up with the people that have retired.

Well, no shit. New York City is a "union town" but it's also a sanctuary city. Non-union labor loaded up with illegal aliens catch a free pass by government to snag construction contracts and work just about anywhere. Non-pros that can't speak English in a work crew can always undercut a bid by a union shop and the NYC trades unions are losing a lot of work now.

Post subject: Re: Union Mail
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 pm 

Long ago true story:

I was part of a crew going into some floors of a Manhattan building that was being renovated. The laborers had knocked down the walls and cleaned the place up. The tin knockers had been in to install new duct work for heating and cooling and then the carpenters came in to lay up the walls. Before the painters and ceiling guys and floor guys came in the place had to be wired for electrical service and cabled up for telephone and computer service.

Our CWA Local 1109 crew showed up with a lot of gear and people and the Local 3 electricians informed the foreman that "this is a Local 3 building" and that the union electricians were going to lay in the voice and data cabling and the telephone service.

Work was disrupted for no reason while contracts were examined and "union brothers" were ready to kill each other as the job got more expensive. It ended with CWA Local 1109 fulfilling its contract while the Local 3 electricians did everything they could to slow us up.

Ain't unions great?

Post subject: Re: Union Mail
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 am 

To answer your question about unions, they are not perfect, but they are great. I'm in year # 13 of a hard earned pension, and enjoying the $hit out of it.