The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Another trip to Keane Stud Today
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 pm 

I realize no one really cares about my trips around the northeast, but I get a little pleasure posting about them.

Today I had company, my good friend and handicapper Danny. I was up at 5 this morning to clean stalls and prep my only empty stall for the yearling filly I was going to bring home today. We left Brooklyn at 8 and arrived there at 11.30. They had already tranqed her prior to my arrival. First time shippers aren't used to trailers and balk at getting on. By tranqing them its not a tramatic experience and they travel better. I wish I had more time to spend there at Keane as I would have liked to see Freud, one of NY's top sire's. I had to get back and thru Hartford before the 3 O'Clock traffic. Upon arriving home my 3 mares came galloping down to the gate to check out the new kid. Its aways difficult to bring a young horse in with older ones and they take a day or two to settle in and learn the pecking order. In 5 minutes all were running around and wet with sweat. I had to step in to seperate them as I feared an accidental injury. All are in their stalls now with fans on and plenty of Alfala hay to eat and cool water to drink. I only hope tomorrow's AM turn-out goes without much trouble.

I guess I love working with thoroughbreds or I wouldn't go thru all this trouble.

Post subject: Re: Another trip to Keane Stud Today
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm 

Good luck with the filly.

Who are the :mrgreen: "parents"?

What happened to the mare you sent to KY, but the sire had "problems" and you had to p-u
your mare. Is this the filly from the "planned Tenpins" mating?

Hard to keep track of your stable...going back to Dixie Bourbon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:52 pm 

I enjoy reading about your trips John. Keep posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm 

John, you have shared your horses so much with us through the years we've all been posting together, that you've made many of us feel like we were owners. You are a first class individual, and I love hearing about the new runners that are hopefully on the way. Your generosity that you have shown to me has always been much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 am 

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for the kind words and interest. First, Light Classic(out of Moonlighting), was bred to Ten Pins last year in KY. Left her there about 5-6 weeks and was told she was in-foal w/ heartbeat. Had her shipped to Keane in NY by commercial shipper, 3 days door to door. On the 4th day she was checked again by the farm vet and found to be "NOT IN FOAL". Very disappointing. This year Ten Pins was sold and went to stand in Louisiana.

The filly I brought back last week is out of Two Moon Junction and sired by Disco Rico. My other yearling is a colt out of Fly My Bird and also sired by Disco Rico. The colt is at a farm in PA owned and operated by Clovis Crane.

I haven't mentioned it but my 3yo filly "Starbuckets" is at Finger Lakes. She had her 1st start 2 weeks ago at 5 1/2f. Slow out of the gate and finished 5th but not a bad showing. She is out of Fly My Bird and was sired by Lycius.

...........................................Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 am 

Deb really loves this filly and sent me a photo. I watched Starbucket's second race, looked like another horse spooked her but she finished well..expect her to win next time.

My filly is doing well with new trainer, they're having trouble pulling her up when she gallops with other horses..she kept herself really fit during the 7 weeks recovering from the bucked shins at the farm...running in the field continuosly with her pasture mate...unfortunately she might take longer to get her gate card than to get fit to run...going into the gate is no problem, it's coming out with the others :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:36 pm 

Mama wrote:
Deb really loves this filly and sent me a photo. I watched Starbucket's second race, looked like another horse spooked her but she finished well..expect her to win next time.

My filly is doing well with new trainer, they're having trouble pulling her up when she gallops with other horses..she kept herself really fit during the 7 weeks recovering from the bucked shins at the farm...running in the field continuosly with her pasture mate...unfortunately she might take longer to get her gate card than to get fit to run...going into the gate is no problem, it's coming out with the others :(

Hello Barbara, nice to see you posting now and then. The top side in your filly's breeding (Freud) will eventually take hold. They always get hurt or get sore just before they're ready to run. Time and more money :lol: will get her back into training and on the track. Good Luck and post more often.....

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:26 am 

Good luck to you both, someone has to keep this game going.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:44 am 

John, hope you didn't mind my talking about Lani on your message...I never talk to you even though I talk to your better half several times a week..she is being worked this morning and I am waiting by the phone to hear from my new partner who lives 3 miles from the track, I was told she has raised several eyebrows in the morning..oh well we will see