The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Missing People
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 pm 

"The older one becomes the more people one knows that are dead."

As I look into 2010 and the Social Security checks I think about some wonderful folks that posted into the NYRA board and beyond.

One time I went to the Meadowlands to meet a fine thoroughbred 'capper for the Hambletonian at the trots. We were buddies from the NYRA board although we had never met. He was older than me as a Korean War vet and he slammed me with every Meadowlands giveaway from the store. He was a very heavy hitter. In the second race I catch a $16 winner on top to make a $90 exacta. I have it for $2. He rips up 9 $100 tickets win/exacta and asks me why I didn't give him the winner.

I miss the Woodman and Su big time. I think I could still get near Monmouth if the Woodman needed a pint of A-postive blood. Old Marines and young Marines do not forget each other after times go by. I still love Woodman big time.

I miss Rocky at Belmont Park. And his Dad. After Dad passed on my son, Rocky, and I made a date to meet on the rail at Belmont. Rocky rolls to the rail an hour before post with a 12-pack dangling off both handlebars of his bicycle for us. Rocky tells us to enjoy the beer and that he'll be out back catching some sun. I have no idea how he got into the track with a bike full of beer.

There was a lady from nearby Elmont named Priscilla. She would get near our Board Meetings and be snagged to socialize with the people. She might have weighed 100 pounds after a good breakfast but I'm thinking she was closer to 90 pounds. The lady just wanted to be with people and we snagged her and made her part of the crew. Lonely is no good unless you're the only guy in the drunk tank or by yourself at night in the bush with a rifle after the shots have died down. Priscilla was lonely and I miss her.

I miss many people from the 'old board' and the 'older board' and the folks from the NYRA board and the large-breasted girls I went to high school with during the early 1960's.

Even when I take my glasses off at bed time at the age of 61 I can remember the fantastic racks that the men of today can only dream about. My girlfriend Valerie in 1963 had a 36-inch bust line and a 24-inch waist. Her hips were tiny and she wore glasses. One time at a party I indulged into some strong drink and blew the date with Valerie. Years later I ran into Valerie's mother and she told me that her daughter was praying that I didn't killed as a Marine. Val had a bad marriage or two and I haven't seen her in 43 years but I remember the rack and the hips and the 24-inch waist.

Wanna go back? You can't. I had more hair and teeth in the 1960s.

I'm still laughing, however.

Post subject: Re: Missing People
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:13 am 

I saw Priscilla at the Belmont Stakes Q/P.............she's fine. Just thought you'd like to know.