The Original NY Racing Community
SARATOGA - Racing Since 1863
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Links: Handicapping | General Racing Discussion | Off Topic | Photo Forum
 Post subject: Chewy.com Delivers Again
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:47 pm 

The Friskies wet cat food is 65 cents a can at ShopRite and this week is on sale for 20 costing $11 (55 cents a can). I can catch Friskies in a 40-pack from Chewy.com for a tad over 51 cents a can. And I need cat litter for the house cats and kibble for the outside cats. I buy the Tidy Cats light-weight litter in the huge 17.5-pound box or jug and the huge 16 or 22-pound bags of kibble for the outside cats. Chewy's prices with that stuff is equal to or better that what I can do at ShopRite or even WalMart. If you buy an order for $50 or more delivery is free.

Yesterday morning I placed an order with Chewy.com for wet cat food, cat litter and cat kibble. The order was for more than $50 and was shipping for free. I got an e-mail early this morning that my purchase was arriving today. Maybe 27 hours later from making my order all my cat stuff was sitting on my front stoop.

I saved a few dollars and wan't lugging heavy stuff home from a store to provide for the cats I care for. I'm a big Chewy fan.

Post subject: Re: Chewy.com Delivers Again
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:33 pm 

It's good that you are embracing change. However, the only downside to all this is online shopping is the shuttered strip-mall stores which are becoming a frequent site all over the USA. The pet store that I have frequented over the last 17 years is in a noticeable downturn. Less shoppers, less inventory, the struggle is obvious. Looks like brick and mortar stores are going to disappear like VCR factories.

Post subject: Re: Chewy.com Delivers Again
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:41 pm 

I hear you, Greg.

Not with Chewy but on-line shopping can still save the onerous almost 9% NY sales tax in a lot of places. Many state courts have ruled that businesses within that state are NOT obligated to collect and remit state sales taxes to other states no matter what Albany has passed as law. Overhead elsewhere is lower. Prices are lower for the same product. Catch free shipping and you're saving some serious dollars.

New York is losing people and businesses because of the murderous taxation and regulations placed upon small businesses.

I'm OK with supporting local stores but the government is squeezing my dollars with taxes so hard that I look elsewhere to make purchases.

One day long ago I bought a pair of jeans in New Hampshire for $9.99. I handed the girl at the register a ten and began digging in my pocket for some dimes and quarters to cover the sales tax. She handed me one cent for my change. A bell went off in my brain and I caught an epiphany.

Anytime I can beat New York for the sales tax I do it.